How common are USED side booms and swing cranes for dozers anymore ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigv

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting another dozer(450 Deere). I have TD6-62 loader, and a Deere 440/420 hybrid.

I want a swing crane or a side boom.

Here in Western NC, ALL equipment is hard to come by.

Are they "common" anywhere ? I've heard they're common in Canada still, but having never been- I dunno. So...

I like old stuff because I'm a dumb hillbilly, a cheap dumb hillbilly, and did I mention a dumb hillbilly ?

So... Is this something I am going to be likely to find anywhere anymore, or is another victim of the great Chinese scrap war of the new millennium ?

Thank you all.

pipe layers dozer have side booms,in OK and TX I have seem acres of them but that was 20 years ago

Same here. Pipe layers and tractors working on rail lines/derailments are the only place I have seen side booms. Even then most all are just tractors and not dozers.

You guys rock.

I didn't think to look in the oil states. They seem to be in MS, LA, TX, OK, and ND(?) (shale ?).

I'd rather have a swing crane, but it actually looks like a side boom is easier to find.

You guys rock.

I didn't think to look in the oil states. They seem to be in MS, LA, TX, OK, and ND(?) (shale ?).

I'd rather have a swing crane, but it actually looks like a side boom is easier to find.[/quote

Is a swing crane like a small excavator but with a single boom and a hoist winch?

Is a swing crane like a small excavator but with a single boom and a hoist winch?

Yes, basically that's what it is. There are two types I have seen in person, and a couple types I've seen on the internet.
Type 1 is fixture, weight system, and pulley system that is mounted to one side of your crawler, and then on top of the fixture you have a crane and hoisting line, and you have about 270 degrees of motion, but no articulation with the angle of the crane's boom.

Type 2 was made during the 70's, and I've seen them on David Brown crawlers from UK, but I've also seen one retrofitted to a propane ATAC, and one factory on the smallest Terratrac they made in the 70's. It has the weights, the fixture, pulleys, and on top, the crane arm has a hydraulic cylinder and there is a pretty good bit of articulation in how the crane arm can bend, and the arm can almost rotate 360 degrees.

There are some others out there that are basically glorified side booms.

What are you going to use it for?
A couple things: I am not happy with the grapple that I have on my TD6, and I had an opportunity to use a TD8 that had one.

I've got 15 to 18 acres of hardwoods left to finish logging- I am enamored with how easy it is load logs with one. Using my Drott high lift and bucket on the TD6 works great for a lot of things, but that crane was like the difference between using a scalpel(crane) vs using a hatchet(Drott). Both will cut, one is more precise.

A guy brought in the TD8 when he bought a truck load of hard wood logs. It made loading a log truck so easy. Later on he needed a big two cylinder diesel engine bored and it was too much for my trolley and gantry crane. He brought back the TD8, lifted the block, we used the winch on my 440 to twist it sideways, installed a set of supports I built, and then I used a boring bar, set of spiders to center it, and bored the block, finally fitted two sleeves.

I always end up moving but also sometimes buying and selling some of my machining equipment, and it would make moving and positioning an 18" or 24" lathe so much easier, same goes for a big K&T. I moved those with my Drott 4in1 bucket, chains, and TD6.

And here is something I just realized I could use it for, because of firebrick43: I got into road clearing and building a couple years ago when I bought my John Deere 440. The hunting club guys get me because of price, my willingness to work in remote areas, I am neat, and I maintain the forest and the cover for the animals as much as possible. One thing that I lacked the ability to do, has been to put in any piping for water, or piping to septic tanks or piping for drainage when the land is swampy. I've had a small backhoe and trencher attachment, so I could put in the channel but I really didn't have anything to set in the piping.

They are in tight demand due to pipe line construction.
There is a trackson unit that was listed for $3500 in MS, "ready to work", but actually was missing the ballast and mounting system. It was also 50 years old or more, maybe. It is listed on another site as being "Sold". :rolleyes:

Interesting about the terratrac with one on it. Dad had an American Tractor Company 1947 terratrac that the factory had reversed and mounted a forklift mast to. Case bought ATC out for the terratrac design just a few years later with no changes to the design for several years more. While not particularly a heavy lifter (3500lbs) that little beast would put it load anywhere no matter the terrain. Wished my dad had not sold it but I really did not have a use for it a paddling around the yard was not the most condusive for lawn of the year awards.

Interesting about the terratrac with one on it. Dad had an American Tractor Company 1947 terratrac that the factory had reversed and mounted a forklift mast to. Case bought ATC out for the terratrac design just a few years later with no changes to the design for several years more. While not particularly a heavy lifter (3500lbs) that little beast would put it load anywhere no matter the terrain. Wished my dad had not sold it but I really did not have a use for it a paddling around the yard was not the most condusive for lawn of the year awards.

I've been informed that what I thought was an ATAC REALLY IS an ATC. Cool.

I guess life really is the gradual release from ignorance.

I searched Bing using "excavator crane for sale" and the machine I was thinking about came up as the first image. It is a Japanese grey market machine. It is a blue Kobelco like color.

Back