How do I cut the rest of this tree up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I think I'm going to cut those upper trunks off first. They are actually 3 trunks wrapped & twisted around each other and were growing as one trunk and then split into 2!

I just saw this in the photo, there's a little space near the roots. Maybe I can dig around there a little and get my saw blade in there & cut from the bottom?

Cut those upper trunks off and you just may find that "they" were causing the downward pressure on that lower leader. With the uppers out of the picture, you will probably be able to just cut from the top down near the root ball, if you haven't already.

Persactly what happened. I cut the remaing upper trunk cluster and the lower trunk lifter off the ground enough for me to get a clear cut.

Freds_Tree_10062008_%2815%29.JPG

Freds_Tree_10062008_%2816%29.JPG

all thats left is the stump. It must be over 2 ft in dia.

Persactly what happened. I cut the remaing upper trunk cluster and the lower trunk lifter off the ground enough for me to get a clear cut.

Freds_Tree_10062008_%2815%29.JPG

Freds_Tree_10062008_%2816%29.JPG

all thats left is the stump. It must be over 2 ft in dia.

Good deal now I would grind that stump for ya but, yeah you guessed it, too far
especially for an estimate:laugh:

Good deal now I would grind that stump for ya but, yeah you guessed it, too far
especially for an estimate:laugh:

just out of curiosity, would you ever give an estimate based on pictures someone emailed you? Or do you always insist on seeing the site with your own eyes before estimating?

just out of curiosity, would you ever give an estimate based on pictures someone emailed you? Or do you always insist on seeing the site with your own eyes before estimating?
I do it all the time on stumps I first ask if I can get my truck in to it
how many how big and how far! I doon't have time to spend to look
at stumps. I can grind for 15 per stump on big jobs of fifty or more
but have a hundred minimum in my area + 2.00 per mile out of area
and my minimum will cover a few small to medium stumps.

Do we know why the tree blew over ?

I would suspect some root damage on the side opposite the fall. Perhaps related to the deep mound of yard waste piled up there ?

In case you didn't know, trees don't benefit from having their roots buried that deep. You may wish to consider a better loction than at the base of a tree for your next pile.

Yeah that I saw as well and should do ya fine. Just watch out
for the ball trying to go back in the hole, as if it does it will pinch hard!
Many times it does try to fall back in, in my experiance about 85% of the
time! I would notch it bottom or top to detour a pinch just keep notching
deeper and wider a little at a time! :cheers:

You were correct about the root ball going back once the weight was off. You should see it now. I'll see if I can get a picture later. The stump is going almost back to it's original position. Maybe that's why there was enough room underneath that allowed me to cut it up 2 weeks ago. :chainsaw:

You were correct about the root ball going back once the weight was off. You should see it now. I'll see if I can get a picture later. The stump is going almost back to it's original position. Maybe that's why there was enough room underneath that allowed me to cut it up 2 weeks ago. :chainsaw:

It is a combination of weight of the dirt ball and remaining roots on the side
it fell to that push back as the weight is free!

Latest posts

Back