How do they like it ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been hand-splitting my home wood for a loooooong time, but am about to get a splitter, so I thought I may sell some. Got a Q for you sellers. Do people tend to like a mix of wood, or all the same varitey of hardwood (all cherry, all oak, all locust). Should it all be sectionals (quarter rounds) ? Does it hurt to mix in small 2"-3" rounds (limbs) ?

I don't sell, but I do pay attention to what sellers in my area are doing.

First, I see alot of two-tiered pricing: Mixed hardwoods = $XXX/cord, All Red Oak = $XXX/cord. Mixed hardwoods usually mean there's some poplar, cherry, walnut, ash, and/or locust mixed in. If I were buying, I'd ask how much of each.

The rounds need to be split small enough to fit in the "average" stove or insert; so they usually come 16" length by 4-5", regardless of whether its a quarter, third, half, or whatever. Most guys with bigger stoves tend to harvest their own wood rather than pay for it.

When I do deliver wood (I give it away), I always mix in smaller diameter stuff. First, because I have it. Second, because it helps with getting the fires started. For that same reason, I usually always include some smaller split poplar.

In NYS Wood from conifers (pines), aspen, poplar, basswood, butternut, willow, and grey or paper birch may not be advertised as hardwood.:chainsawguy:

I mix in some small rounds for my customers. Nobody complains, most prefer it that way.

My 'mixed hardwoods' consists of ash, hard maple, hickory, cherry, hornbeam, elm, locust and hedge. Again, no complaints on the wood quality either. Most people say I'm the cheapest and highest quality around.

I get $50-60 a rick delivered and $125-150 per cord delivered depending on distance.

WOW Peacock you're cheap wood. In my area a rick is sold for 125 delivered! At the supermarket one can purchase the large amount of bundled firewood (.75 cu ft mixed) for the measly sum of 6.99! WOW that's $1192.96 PER CORD! Will you deliver to Ohio for that price :laugh: ?

WOW, good prices.

In our area it costs $85.xx for a face cord of cut & split birch/black ash. That is $255.xx @ cord and I have to go get it and do the loading.

Got Wood ?

I think if you got wood to sell and plenty of it to move and you are selling it and making a nice profit , its all good !

Peacock more power to ya !

please don't bring those prices down to NC you'll run me out of business! Seriously, more power to you if you can turn it for that price. Hardwood's are going for 18 bucks at the mill per ton so i've got to factor in a few things.

Back