How do you cut a tree up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After reading another post in here that was complete with pictures, I got to thinking if I was doing something different than most. When I drop a tree, unless there are some extenuating circumstances, I always cut off most if not all branches first and get them out of my way. Once that is done, I then buck the limbs that are in the air because I find the smaller stuff to go so much faster when they aren't on the ground. I then I'll bounce back and forth cutting everything that's off the ground even a little. This may include a few pieces from the butt end but not usually. This pretty much leaves the main part of the trunk for last. If needed, I will use the cant hook.

So what's your method? Am I the minority here?

After reading another post in here that was complete with pictures, I got to thinking if I was doing something different than most. When I drop a tree, unless there are some extenuating circumstances, I always cut off most if not all branches first and get them out of my way. Once that is done, I then buck the limbs that are in the air because I find the smaller stuff to go so much faster when they aren't on the ground. I then I'll bounce back and forth cutting everything that's off the ground even a little. This may include a few pieces from the butt end but not usually. This pretty much leaves the main part of the trunk for last. If needed, I will use the cant hook.

Same but I have two saws right next to it there one for limbs then one for logs.

I do similar most of the time. Fell tree, then grab small saw and get to milking the branches out, while still attached if possible. When all that is done, then do the main trunk. I wind up taking most of a tree. It's slow, but I don't leave a big mess and get a ton of smalls that don't require splitting, so what I lose in time cutting smalls, I make back by having a lot that can go directly right to the stack.

I do similar most of the time. Fell tree, then grab small saw and get to milking the branches out, while still attached if possible. When all that is done, then do the main trunk. I wind up taking most of a tree. It's slow, but I don't leave a big mess and get a ton of smalls that don't require splitting, so what I lose in time cutting smalls, I make back by having a lot that can go directly right to the stack.

I do pretty much the same.

A lot of times with strategic limbing I get to the point where I can get the tree to roll with little effort and bring all of the limbs down to ground level. I have a bunch of skeletons on the ground right now that we will not cut to length yet for reasons too long to discuss here but we need the brush off of them. And we want something above the snow so the dayum snow sleds don't run into it. My peavy also has a 6' handle 4" in diameter! And occasionally when I am limbing I drop back and take a cut off the butt cause I'm tired of holding the saw!

I was thinking the same thing over the same post! Branches first. Seems like it would be more difficult to cut branches of of single rounds, or if your 16" mark happened to straddle a branch, then you'd have to cut the branch in half, etc...

Chainsaw......

But as you said also, fall, small branches, cut as many in air as possible, watch out for ones under pressure, if too hairy throw a chain around and flip over

I start at the top, brush out ahead of me as I work down the log, i.e., brush, buck, brsh, buck, etc. My goal is to have nothing at all behind me as much as possible. If the log is securely braced, I will sometimes brush out he entire 'clear of ground' brush first then start bucking from the top.

Harry K

I guess i'm the oddball in the bunch here. we try and work from the stump out to the limbs. theory being that the limbs keep the butt end up and off the ground for easier sawing. this is subject to change as every tree is different. yesterday we we dropping dead oaks with a small amount of limbs and we worked from the top down.

Brush the tree first and get that out of the way. Look at the tree and see if there are any limbs on the ground that have pressure on them that might be keeping the tree off the ground. I will lay anything that fits under the tree in a few spots to keep it in the air once that last limb is cut. Anything to keep from making chainsaw/dirt contact helps.

I think I know which thread this refers to, from this point forward I will no longer cut trees that require lifting, pulling, skidding, winching, etc... I'm sure there are an abundance of trees just waiting for me to pull the trailer up next to them so they can fall into a neat stack of split 16" long pieces and drive away within 10 minutes of my arrival, I just haven't noticed them before ;)

I also like to cut the limbs while they are held up in the air for you, instead of lying on the ground. As noted, it depends on the type of tree, and if you are planning to use the limbs, or just clearing them for slash.

Might also vary with the site/situation, and what type of access you have.

With storm damage trees, I like to 'simplify the problem', by removing as much of the brush, and as many of the non-supporting limbs as possible. This makes it easier to gauge the tensions and other forces in the remaining trunks and limbs.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back