How do you store your small logs/chunks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Weld

If it aint broke, it aint mine!
Reaction score
This year, it seems like I am acquiring a sizable pile of what I call "off fall". It is the tail pieces of a log or thick limb stubs that I have cut off of the main trunk. I am talking about 8" chunks and 1" branches about 12" long. Some of this is cherry and pear which are very suitable for a big smoker, but I will probably end putting all of it into my smallish Buck stove. I have a large supply of smoking wood chunks put up already (Hickory, Pecan, Pear, and Cherry).

So my question is how do you guys store your small stuff?

I stack all of mine just like any other. But normally 2 years. I like it better than splits when it's dry. It really burns hot. I have about 5 cords of that stuff now.

All the oddballs, shorts longs chunks, whatever isn't a nice even split or decent sized branch go in the middle row of three row wide stacks. Heavier uglies hold the top tarp down in the winter. As I use up the stack and get to the next ugly, it becomes a night log. Small diameter "zogger wood", little branches, get put in buckets and brought in as needed to get the fire going in the mornings. The only kindling I split is perfect pine for bundles.

Depends on how much. Because I have a small fireplace insert, MOST of my wood is that size! I store a lot of the smaller diameter wood in heavy weight corrugated boxes - apple boxes from the grocery store, or laundry detergent boxes from the warehouse club. These stack easy in the garage, and are easy to take into the house. Take them back out when empty to refill.

I also have a number of larger Rubbermaid totes that I bought at garage sales, etc., for $1-$2 each. These hold odd sized chunks, crotch wood, 'fuglies', etc., and keep all the saw dust and bark from getting on the floor.

If I had a lot of these from splitting or noodling, or much larger volumes, I might look into the larger 'combo' boxes, or those cages that hold the plastic chemical totes. Several threads on these.

Philbert

P1153490.jpg
P1153491.jpg
P1153492.jpg

I just toss the 'uglies' onto a pile as I split and stack. Usually have a 1/2 cord or more and that stuff gets burned first in the fall.

Harry K
Or, I burn them with campfires now and again in early fall. Whatever is left over I save for kindling when the heating season starts. Ever notice how nice these "uglies" become when starting a fire in cold weather?

All the oddballs, shorts longs chunks, whatever isn't a nice even split or decent sized branch go in the middle row of three row wide stacks. Heavier uglies hold the top tarp down in the winter. As I use up the stack and get to the next ugly, it becomes a night log. Small diameter "zogger wood", little branches, get put in buckets and brought in as needed to get the fire going in the mornings. The only kindling I split is perfect pine for bundles.

Very similar to what I do..I've got the center row of two different 10' racks full of uglies. I also keep a couple of 4' square hoppers full, I load them on my trailer when I go offroading and keep all my buddies in firewood.

I have a few of the rolling recycling container trash cans, probably 40 gal or so in size. All of them go in those and I can wheel them right to the back door during the shoulder season. Top flips down to keep them dry as well.

Like the other guys, uglies that make it home are used to hold down the top covers (most of mine get left in the woods unless they are high quality wood). I stack shorties at the end of a pile and try to put two butt to butt to keep the pile uniform. Then I burn those first when I start burning.

I don't mess with the small diameter stuff (less than 4-5 inches)... figure my time is better utilized workin' the bigger stuff. I'll make an excepting and work down to the 3 inch range if it's held off the ground at about waist level... maybe... dependin' on my mood. It gets tossed in and stacked with all the rest, no "special" handling or such.

Shorts and uglies are culled into a separate (smaller) trailer during the splittin' stage, then dumped in a pile on concrete to season a bit before moving' 'em to the fire pit rack. Most uglies also qualify as a "short", so they season relatively fast once busted up some... and, for use in the fire pit, I ain't overly picky about the seasoning.

I use a variation of @Whitespider 's method, but instead of piling the shorts and uglies on concrete, I throw them in one of those old Suncast plastic storage sheds for keeping them out of the weather until the next bonfire. Sure they don't "season" properly, but I don't recall ever having creosote buildup in my fire pit ;)

Latest posts

Back