How far away is your wood cutting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How far do you normally drive one way to cut firewood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have access to 2 logging sites, one is .5 miles away, the other is about 5. I am still working the culls on the landings and that is a lot of wood.

You can see a pile of cut offs in back.

2ijtd1f.jpg

Another pile of "trash" behind the logs.

fonpmr.jpg

Iam in the middle of the suburban jungle so it's between 30/35 miles one way to the Forrest where I cut but definitely worth it for the quality of the wood

Mostly cut right across the street, but like others I have traveled 20-30 miles for primo wood.

For me it is 2.5 miles one way to the 15 acre hedge/black locust grove my great grandpa planted back in the 19-teens. Ice storm did severe damage back in 2009 and 2010, so I am cutting the damaged/downed trees. Also, just north of that patch is a wild grove of black locust and some trash trees I am cleaning up so we can get cows and 4 wheelers through.

My place is 10 min. away by truck its 10 acres of trees the owner wants cleared to make field for cattle. Been working at it alone for 3 yrs now and finnaly starting to make a dent. Others have tried to cut here but for some odd reason nobody stays. Good me the more wood the better.:)

Mine is right on my farm ground on backside & edges of my property. I can & have cut wood on the farm I grew up on about 10 miles away. I'd never run out of trees to cut out there. Not so sure about my own place???;)

Iam in the middle of the suburban jungle so it's between 30/35 miles one way to the Forrest where I cut but definitely worth it for the quality of the wood
Im deep in the suburbs too. Free wood is out there, we just have to look a little harder.

I look on craigslist every few days for free wood, unless its real cold, there are tons of listings for it. I go get the ones that are near my town, or on my way home from work. Never really out of my way by more than a couple miles.

My job takes me over the entire County(Pulaski), but 'my' wood cutting is done less then 45 feet from the backdoor.........not sure which to choose on the poll?

Scott (the RoW is my cutting area) B

Per GE/Tools/Ruler, about 156.4 yards from my front porch.

This^ but I have the rest of the 100 acres past that to cut in. The farthest I have driven is about 15 miles one way and that is just because the trees were dropped along the road to light it. Gonna go tomorrow and probably two days this week.

My log landing is about 1/2 mile from home. I just skid wood trees, with my skidder, to landing put over in corner, in the sun, cut up, stack and let dry. In late summer I haul home, split further and put in wood shed. Got about 16 cords when full. Keeps me out of trouble.

A saw can be put to wood within 60 yards from where I sit right now. Zero road time involved with my firewood.
Yes, I consider myself to be very fortunate.

'Bout a hundred and 50 yards to the woods.

Got a few big standing dead white ash within 50 feet of my back stoop.

085.JPG

The hell of it is, I only burn wood out in the shed.

That will change before next Winter!

Sounds like a lot of you good folks took up residences so you would be next to your wood supply, good on you.

I have a couple different places to cut. One is about 15 miles away, my bil and I bought a bush full of tops. We're almost done cutting that bush and the owner wants us to cut trails in another property he just bought beside it. I also just got permission to cut in the bush behind my house about 1/3 mile away. I am itching to cut there but the snow this year has been a problem. Yesterday I decided that no matter what I was going to get some wood cut and brought home. Spent 3 hours with backhoe and bucket and never even got halfway. Today I spent 2 hrs with snow blower and bucket but only got a little farther. I finally gave up when I hit another snow drift, 4' high couple of 100 feet long and several layers of ice buried in the snow. I think this is likely the last big drift but there is so much snow in the bush I would never be able to get far anyway. And I don't really need the wood yet. 1st pic is showing the bush where I want to go looking down the hood of my tractor. 2nd shows my barn where I came from. 3rd shows another drift and the results of yesterdays playing with the backhoe. 4th shows road at my barn. snowfeb1.jpg snowfeb2.jpg snowfeb3.jpg snowfeb4.jpg snowfeb6.jpg

Back