How Far Can A Bearing Go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold a good running dirtbike to a kid once and explained how he needed a mixing ratio cup to mix his oil ratio. I road the bike for months never one problem. The second day he over heated it so bad the crankbearing had play between the races. I checked the fuel it was clear fuel. No oil mix. He guessed at mixing by the color. The ign flywheel was so loose at the crankbearing it struck the stator and ripped the bolts out of the case. Mix by the color of the fuel. That’s a new one on me.

Yes, but the difference is- you knew the bikes past history and you sold it to an idiot.

I sold a good running dirtbike to a kid once and explained how he needed a mixing ratio cup to mix his oil ratio. I road the bike for months never one problem. The second day he over heated it so bad the crankbearing had play between the races. I checked the fuel it was clear fuel. No oil mix. He guessed at mixing by the color. The ign flywheel was so loose at the crankbearing it struck the stator and ripped the bolts out of the case. Mix by the color of the fuel. That’s a new one on me.
I hate when people F up something nice that I took care of just because they are ignorant and don't listen.

S#@t Bob.
I thought $45 was dear here in Tassie.
066 pto bearing.

Yep- thats the same bearing- about $66 AUD's.
Worse is, because genuine parts are dear here, there are people importing imitation parts by the truckload and selling them at 40% cheaper than OEM (least that is what their online advertising says).
So they buy them for peanuts, put on huge markups and are still winning because the genuine parts are so dear. Most muppets doing the buying are not aware of quality issues or longevity- just the end price. But there are quite a few using those parts to build up wrecks and selling them off to the unsuspecting as the real deal.

Yep- thats the same bearing- about $66 AUD's.
Worse is, because genuine parts are dear here, there are people importing imitation parts by the truckload and selling them at 40% cheaper than OEM (least that is what their online advertising says).
So they buy them for peanuts, put on huge markups and are still winning because the genuine parts are so dear. Most muppets doing the buying are not aware of quality issues or longevity- just the end price. But there are quite a few using those parts to build up wrecks and selling them off to the unsuspecting as the real deal.

That is happening all over , I wouldn`t buy a rebuilt saw from anyone I did not know personally . The cheap junk is just not worth it for my useage

Bob
Have you tried outbushman?
Don't know bout shipping costs to NZ though.

Na, I'm one of those old fashioned types.
I earned my money here and will spend my money here when I can. Sometimes there is no alternative but to look offshore, but for a few bearings a year, I can put up with what we have to pay and it should be noted those bags come pre priced from Stihl NZ, not dealer set retail.
Plus, if I want a part- usually I want it then and there or at the most overnight, If it is in the country, usually the overnight thing can happen- to order in from overseas given the current environment......

That’s ridiculous Bob. An 066 PTO oem bearing is around $20-25 here.

Maybe it is- but remember, there are less of us total here than in some (most) of your cities and not all of us split cases on old chainsaws. Plus, we are about as far away as it gets from Germany freight wise. Low sales volumes (in the World scheme) and long distance freight means high end prices. Believe me, it is not just genuine saw parts that cost a bundle over here, to replace the 066 in question new off the shelf with a 661 would cost the owner around $2,500 of our dollars, he is already into this old beat up 066 for near half of that. If you are in that deep- might as well make a genuine job of the repairs.
Anyone wants to check out freighting bearings over the Pacific to a rural address in NZ from the States? Might shock you that the shipping is around double the cost of the part and in the end saves very little from buying one locally and a bird in the hand.......

Back