How far from Redwood Trees can you build?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Raggio

Reaction score
I am looking for information on what the "industry standard" is for building near a redwood tree. I am planning a garage project and plan on a concrete floor with footings etc. Does anybody know of an "arborist bible" or other refferences that cover this subject. Help is much appreciated. Thankx, NR

This is a good site for genral information about building near trees.
For more specific information about redwoods and your part of California, try Google with the key words "tree construction damage".
In genral, tree roots have a zone of rapid taper, which is located in a radius around the tree about 5 to 8 times the diameter of the trunk. Cutting, burying, or compacting these roots can cause decay to quickly enter the lower trunk, creating a hazard. I would state that distance (5 to 8 times tree diameter) as an absolute minimum for building near a tree that could become a substantial hazard.
Tall trees also have the potential to lose tops or branches during extreme weather conditions, so the proximity, lean and condition of the trees near a structure should be considered, as well as its' exposure to winds based on surrounding topogrphy.
Because of the extremely high value of large trees, both to proprety value and society, and the potential for creating a hazardous situation, I reccomend bringing in an ASCA certified Consulting Arborist, at the planning stage of the project.

When branches break out on big redwoods, if they tend come down butt end first like a spear. If you don't re-enforce your roof with some thick plywood, expect to get a few branches stuck through your roof. My friend in NCal had one knife through his bedroom ceiling while he was sleeping. They're beautiful trees but there's a price to pay living under redwoods.

Thank you for your comments. I was hoping there would be a sort of "Arborist Bible" with printed rules for such construction. Regards, N Raggio

"Arborist Bible" you say? ;)

attachment.php

Back