"How It's Made" - Crosscut Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-_qf9QGHfBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting.

Does not look as impressive as some of the working saws I have seen, with more elaborate tooth patterns, tapered blades, etc. Was expecting to see tempering of the blades as well. Maybe they 'dumbed down' the process for the video?

Philbert

I was kind of surprised to see no hardening of the teeth too.

Those guys look like they could benefit from a bit of process engineering. Looks like a pretty slow way of going about it.

Shaun

very interesting, I would have also thought that more would have went in to the material science for the cutting teeth. A hardened steel tooth would probably last longer and stay sharper. I was also very surprised that they stuck to very basic teeth design as well, since we understand more about the effects of the teeth and removal of chips I would have thought that they would be able to maek a more advanced tooth design. Just my two cents.

I was kind of surprised to see no hardening of the teeth too.

Those guys look like they could benefit from a bit of process engineering. Looks like a pretty slow way of going about it.

Shaun

I would think if you hardened the teeth it would be impossible to give them set as they were filed down.

I would think if you hardened the teeth it would be impossible to give them set as they were filed down.

Maybe the right term is 'tempering'. It would make sense that you want to cut the steel while it is softer, but if it cuts that easily, it is hard to imagine it holding a good edge.

I was told that the 'good' saws in the 'old days' were taper ground (narrower at the top of the blade), and that some were also tapered to be narrower at the ends.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back