How long should an equipment repair take?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a Wacker Neuson WL32 loader. Went into limp mode due to DPF (diesel particulate filter) emissions issue. DPF is on tail end of 5 yr. warranty. Dealer I bought it from has had it since 6/19/2022, almost 3 months. One excuse after another. There must be some consumer protection statutes. This is not a COVID parts issue.

Yes, I intend on having the DPF removed, it's not the first time it's failed. Just want my loader back.

Have you been in contact with the manufacturer to see what they say?

We had a 3 year old Grove down for over 6 months waiting on a DEF module that was on backorder.
And that part was from Bosch made for Cummins. A very common part here in the States.

Will you have a way to tune your loader if you remove the DPF?

Do not let this new equipment with a dpf idle under 1,000 rpm for more than a few minutes at a time. This can rapidly plug up the exhaust filter with soot causing constant regen cycles. Who cates about the stupid filter its about not having excessive fuel dumped by the computer over and over during regen cycles that will greatly shorten engine life.

First not all engines dose fuel into the exhaust stream during a regen. Saying broad statements like this leads to people getting confused. Some use an inj3ctor in the exhaust stream, throttle valves (intake or exhaust side.) Or other means.

Second the don't let it go bellow 1k rpm is total bull. The amount of fuel injected to keep the engine at a certain rpm with no load will not keep it fully to temperature. We went through this on Leeboy pavers and just about every under 75hp mini hoe out there. 80% of the time it's operator error that causes the issues. The load on the engine is the part that causes the exhaust temperature to be Maintained.

To the OP, it's well known in just about every sector that relies on precious metals, or anything computerized, the long backorder and lead times to get the parts. The dealer should honor the emissions warranty, as you dropped it off before the warranty period was over. This should have been documented by the dealer when they started the warranty case with their distributor/ the oem. Sadly I've heard of electrical components still being quoted 6 to 8 months lead time. Now if it's a clogged dpf, there are companies that claim to be able to clean them. This may or may not be an option for you. Best of luck at any rate.

First not all engines dose fuel into the exhaust stream during a regen. Saying broad statements like this leads to people getting confused. Some use an inj3ctor in the exhaust stream, throttle valves (intake or exhaust side.) Or other means.

Second the don't let it go bellow 1k rpm is total bull. The amount of fuel injected to keep the engine at a certain rpm with no load will not keep it fully to temperature. We went through this on Leeboy pavers and just about every under 75hp mini hoe out there. 80% of the time it's operator error that causes the issues. The load on the engine is the part that causes the exhaust temperature to be Maintained.

To the OP, it's well known in just about every sector that relies on precious metals, or anything computerized, the long backorder and lead times to get the parts. The dealer should honor the emissions warranty, as you dropped it off before the warranty period was over. This should have been documented by the dealer when they started the warranty case with their distributor/ the oem. Sadly I've heard of electrical components still being quoted 6 to 8 months lead time. Now if it's a clogged dpf, there are companies that claim to be able to clean them. This may or may not be an option for you. Best of luck at any rate.
Great post to keep people like me from getting sucked into bad notions. The explanations help a lot.

I would suggest following your manufacturers operating recommendations as they do vary a little.
This is straight out of a 2017 QSB6.7 (Cummins) engine owners manual.
20220912_120357.jpg

For those wondering what Cummins definition of extended idling is
20220912_120603.jpg

Most anything with a high idle feature is simply programming developed in the ecm. It elevates the RPM and if it has a VGT turbo (which most modern emissions equipped engines do, to help meet emissions) the programming also restricts the vanes to help elevate exhaust gas temps. This is beneficial to the engine not just the aftertreatment components as it helps to prevent wet stacking and minimizes EGR usage during cold weather operation.

I would suggest following your manufacturers operating recommendations as they do vary a little.
View attachment 1016625

View attachment 1016617

Most anything with a high idle feature is simply programming developed in the ecm. It elevates the RPM and if it has a VGT turbo (which most modern emissions equipped engines do, to help meet emissions) the programming also restricts the vanes to help elevate exhaust gas temps. This is beneficial to the engine not just the aftertreatment components as it helps to prevent wet stacking and minimizes EGR usage during cold weather operation.
Agreed.

Every four hours the 49hp Perkins diesel goes into auto regen. At this point a regen icon on panel lights up where you are not supposed to shut off the engine until completion, 15 min. During this interval injectors create high temps burning off soot deposits.

Does the operator follow instructions? My guess is sometimes. Icon light is small. Too sensitive for intermittent loader use in tree work. Start her up, pick up log, shut her down. 950 hrs. on machine, approaching 5 yrs. old.

Attachments

• Wacker stump.jpg
    Wacker stump.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
I dont know anything about your machine but a regen Every 4 engine operating hours seems excessive.
In comparison, the ISB/QSB 2350ecm is programmed to perform an active regen every 25 engine hrs regardless of soot load in the dpf. The X series is right around the same time frame.
Does this machine have SCR? Even though SCR adds more equipment and cost it has also greatly improved reliability over the systems that use DOC/DPF only and try to meet NOX targets through excessive EGR usage. It removes much of the burden from the engine by moving everything downstream.

I dont know anything about your machine but a regen Every 4 engine operating hours seems excessive.
In comparison, the ISB/QSB 2350ecm is programmed to perform an active regen every 25 engine hrs regardless of soot load in the dpf. The X series is right around the same time frame.
Does this machine have SCR? Even though SCR adds more equipment and cost it has also greatly improved reliability over the systems that use DOC/DPF only and try to meet NOX targets through excessive EGR usage. It removes much of the burden from the engine by moving everything downstream.
Are you a Diesel Tech?

Not by a long shot. Just been around them all my life....grew up on a farm having to fix whatever was broke and now my current trade am around the new stuff quite a bit. The old iron is super simple and reliable, I know my way around them pretty well. The new emissions engines actually arent all that difficult to work on either but manufacturers have really stepped up their game with encrytped ECMs so now if you don't have access to their software your pretty much SOL. Some stuff you can work around, others that will set a hard code (derate, limp mode) not so much.

Not by a long shot. Just been around them all my life....grew up on a farm having to fix whatever was broke and now my current trade am around the new stuff quite a bit. The old iron is super simple and reliable, I know my way around them pretty well. The new emissions engines actually arent all that difficult to work on either but manufacturers have really stepped up their game with encrytped ECMs so now if you don't have access to their software your pretty much SOL. Some stuff you can work around, others that will set a hard code (derate, limp mode) not so much.
Yup I just had a computer on my Allison Transmission fail it went into limp mode then stopped working completely. Over a 1000.00 bucks for the TCM and wasn't easy to trouble shoot.

View attachment 1016625

View attachment 1016617

That cold weather operation of the EGR valves plugs up the whole system on GM V motors from the 90's. Those things were computer illiterate literally nothing worked for more than year on the emissions system. Worst computerized carb or throttle bodies ever built. Drilling out offices shouldn't be thing in a clogged system. The AM engine sensors lasted about six months. Now days nobody wants one.

Got a Wacker Neuson WL32 loader. Went into limp mode due to DPF (diesel particulate filter) emissions issue. DPF is on tail end of 5 yr. warranty. Dealer I bought it from has had it since 6/19/2022, almost 3 months. One excuse after another. There must be some consumer protection statutes. This is not a COVID parts issue.

Yes, I intend on having the DPF removed, it's not the first time it's failed. Just want my loader back.
How long a repair takes, by a shop/Pro mechanic, is how long it takes. Not sure what this thread even hopes to take away??

Back