how long?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how long to weed out neandertalls?

• soon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not too distant future

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • never.

Votes: 24 96.0%

• Total voters
i'm sorry to say this but unless tree care becomes a non profit business you will always have hack and slash climbers. i'm in new york now working for a week and a half. sorry but money is my main motivation plus i enjoy climbing to stay in shape. the company is even willing to fly me up every other week and rent me a car while i'm in town. please lets not get into throwing stones. besides if every one did quality tree work you guys would have no way to seperate your selves in the market place. you can't have good with out evil.:) i realy don't know what it's like across the country but i consider most people on this board the minority in the business. just like any business out there, some one will always be doing sub standard work.

I don't think we are a inority, but certainly not a majority, just ahs the true hacks are not a majority of the workers out there.

Anyone can do a raise and gut and still make proper cuts everytime. they probably think they are doing good tree work.

Tie high, work the tips, and keep wounds as small as possible. Thems the basics.

But without neanderthals the utility companies would have nobody to do their work for them! :alien: :eek:

future

Good point TreeTX, how do you teach yuppies to think in long term like, I do this now so there will be trees for my grandchildren? There was one guy this year that wanted me to remove the deadwood and the guy next door wanted the tree gone.The tree sits on the property line. The compromise we worked out was the tree gets dead wooded till the house gets sold $$. Then the neighbor can work on the new owner to take the tree down, new owners expence. Saved the tree because it added property value to the home being sold, not many think of trees as value. Hope the tree has a long life it is not in bad shape now.

After reading through more of the threads on this subject, I would like to add how many times per year I am asked to remove a large limb from a tree "because it is growing toward the house" (and about 30 feet above the roof). I always ask the customer why? They respond by saying they are afraid the limb will fall onto the house. When I explain to them that the branch attachment is one of the tree's strongest unions, they back off and usually leave the limb.

Additionally, I cannot count how many times I am called to look at a tree(s) and it does not need pruning (at this time). Of course I can always find something to prune in almost any tree in suburbia, but if I do not see a definite need, I do not do it.

I always treat each and every one of my customer's trees as if they were my own. I have found this to be a very satisfying and rewarding method of operation...

In Maryland we have a new program, it is called Treekeepers, it gives the home owner, arborists, and others in the tree care business a chance to see why a person's tree dies and what they should have planted there to begin with and tell them about the volcano mulchers, the ones that like to put a 6 to 10 inch layer of mulch all the way to the truck of the tree. Alot of the arborists here don't seem to care, it is all about money, i have helped plant trees that were b&b that the hole was just barely big enough to fit the ball. I have done takedowns where the wire was still wrapped around the tree and the burlap never cut away. The tree was 10 years old and the roots never left the ball. I hate to see this kind of injustice, but it is there. It will always be there as long as the public is uninformed.

one company i worked for last week, the owner can identify 3 tree's. a live one, a dead one and a pine tree. the guy has owned a tree svc for close to 20 years. the company is all about production with money being the motivation factor.

most companies in ny that i know of, the employee's dictate the tree work. not the owners. since there are alot of non climbing owners.

just look at all the other professions out there. doctors cut off the wrong limbs . they get sued for mal practice all the time. some roofers do good work, some will leave you with leaks. some mechanics just paint it black and put it back or paint it blue and sell it as new.

Latest posts

Back