How many are running square ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l don't run much full chisel, mainly semi and some square ground. l find square can be fairly good staying sharp, no chain really likes hitting dirt ar rocks but l don't find square any worse than full chisel....IME its usually better.

My brother and I run square ground chain exclusively. We mainly cut yellow pine and white pine for firewood. 10-15 cord per year. My brother has also been exclusively running square ground chain on his Helitack crews fire saws. That crew won't go back to round filing. There is another cache of saws he oversees. 6-10 saws that get used on various projects on the forest. He square grinds those saws but it's a little tougher to keep things going. Mainly due to poor cutters dirt biking the chains and hitting rocks. That severity of damage makes grinding corner to corner nearly impossible. IMO the Silvey or Simington grinder investment will pay off quickly. The wages saved in sharpening. 1 well trained employee can sharpen a whole fleet of saws in under an hour, instead of paying all operators to sharpen up. Also a good grinder operator can save out chain with the slightest of touch ups to bring the tooth back to optimal sharpness.

Haven't been on here in a long time. The decomposed granite out here in Wyoming is hard on chains. we run full-skip round on the landing and I fall with square ground on a Stihl 461 hot saw. I have to change the chain every 2-3 tanks (the granite dust is in the bark). My eyes aren't able to keep up with the speed in changing chains out. When we finish out the chain we currently have on hand we will order a roll of .404 full skip. I carry 4-5 loops in saw pack and and those r in a canvas ammo bag from an army-navy store. One chain in each compartment. Grinder is a Simington for now. Riders are .275 for the falling saw.

I found a Silvey grinder for square last week at the shop. I've been thinking of trying it out when I gave time.

If shipping it wasn't so tough, probably would consider selling it. I also found a grinder for circular saw blades and hand saws.

Haven't been on here in a long time. The decomposed granite out here in Wyoming is hard on chains. we run full-skip round on the landing and I fall with square ground on a Stihl 461 hot saw. I have to change the chain every 2-3 tanks (the granite dust is in the bark). My eyes aren't able to keep up with the speed in changing chains out. When we finish out the chain we currently have on hand we will order a roll of .404 full skip. I carry 4-5 loops in saw pack and and those r in a canvas ammo bag from an army-navy store. One chain in each compartment. Grinder is a Simington for now. Riders are .275 for the falling saw.
hey mang! how goes things?

Pretty good Slayer- logging some pretty nice ponderosa pine. We will be moving into some fir and spruce soon that is huge for east of the divide. Got all three of my kids With me. Only one left in school. Yarder is just about fixed. The hunting here sucks compared to back home. Friggin' outfitters have it all sown up here and state/nat. forest land is limited. Hope things are well with you.

will post them as soon as i get a cord for camera to get them on computer. do you or anyone else have any experience with the blue ceramic stones ?
My last 2 stones were blue ,seem to give a nice edge ,last longer than the gray ones i had ,does not seem to heat the cutter as bad as salmon wheel for me also .

My last 2 stones were blue ,seem to give a nice edge ,last longer than the gray ones i had ,does not seem to heat the cutter as bad as salmon wheel for me also .
We are currently using the white stones.
The grinder is way different than the Zeiglemeyer I had twenty yrs. ago.

Have never seen one in person ,but was told that was one of the best grinders ever made .
they aren't nearly as portable as a Silvey or Simington. mine went to Alaska ahead of me w/a friend. he went died up there in a crash. Grinder may still be up there. That was 17-18 yrs. ago i think. If i ever run across a Pro Sharp or SDM-4 i hope i got some extra coin. Silvey is pulling their site on Dec. 15th. we like what we like i suppose :) !

We are currently using the white stones.
The grinder is way different than the Zeiglemeyer I had twenty yrs. ago.
I run a salmon colored wheel on my pro sharp that's softer like a white but not as soft and not as hard as the madsens salmon wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I am also running square ground, full skip, full chisel 32" and not sure what angles. My uncle has a silvey grinder so when I need to I go and tickle em a bit and we back in bidness. However here in central oregon there A Lot of this s**t called western juniper that's a cedar so it collects all kinda dirt and rock in it as it grows and my square chains are having none of it lol. Then if the juniper is dead it's seriously like cutting concrete. So I have a 36" round filed chain full skip and full chisel I try to use but she's on her last leg and many times almost thrown said chain as far as I could and cutting a couple rocks in a good riggin fit because I couldn't get it to start another bite in my face cut to clean out the far corner in that hard ass juniper, just kept rollin over and "fixing" my rails realm good lol

Bub.... do me a favor man.
Its all cool if you want to call a cypress a cedar but Chisel comes in
Round and square ONLY...NEVER FULL we also have semi chisel and round chain for cutter types
Cutter intervul types are skip / semi skip/ and full house or full comp
NEVER full skip

Bub.... do me a favor man.
Its all cool if you want to call a cypress a cedar but Chisel comes in
Round and square ONLY...NEVER FULL we also have semi chisel and round chain for cutter types
Cutter intervul types are skip / semi skip/ and full house or full comp
Never full skip
I was under the impression that cutter shapes were round, semi-chisel ( between round and chisel), and chisel (being square in shape not necessarily grind choice) which I saw in a manufacturer's diagram several times as full chisel, and same with full skip which I understand it means skip also. So I apologize for the confusion and ignorance.

Also the juniper in my area the studies said it's western red juniper of that puts it in cypress family I don't know that for sure but they're slow growing and an OG juniper they consider over about 30" will take 40 gallon of water per day if they can get to it and that 30" tree will be 400-500 years old and they are like a noxious weed in my area taking over everywhere. Hope that clears up my confusion a but, safe cuttin boss

Latest posts

Back