How many are running square ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I was lookin for a compound comp with every other tooth reversed that way it cuts the same on top of log and bottom lol

Gentlemen g'morn *smiles*
Brian thats probably so good it would be deserving of its own thread? It will give me a place to hang out for the day too and give people someone to hate...lol

I decided NOT to send that post last night and start a thread and keep it nuteral. I know lots of people don't
say SKIP on here these days Its
certainly not just 'Woos'.
Anyway I guess I just posted by accident in the end....lol

*Edits in*
Full chisel...(which we all know doesn't mean skip ) was the kicker.
My left eye lid started twitching...lol

I was under the impression that cutter shapes were round, semi-chisel ( between round and chisel), and chisel (being square in shape not necessarily grind choice) which I saw in a manufacturer's diagram several times as full chisel, and same with full skip which I understand it means skip also. So I apologize for the confusion and ignorance.

Also the juniper in my area the studies said it's western red juniper of that puts it in cypress family I don't know that for sure but they're slow growing and an OG juniper they consider over about 30" will take 40 gallon of water per day if they can get to it and that 30" tree will be 400-500 years old and they are like a noxious weed in my area taking over everywhere. Hope that clears up my confusion a but, safe cuttin boss
Your understanding is as good as
mine.OK stop at the magazine thing.

If I walked into a saw shop and said
"could I have a 24" full chisel"I will
get just that. Full, semi and skip
been the three cutter intervuls.
So I just ordered a ful house chisel
the grind is always implyed as round, it been the most common by far. See how simple that is....

This is going back a few years now from Seinfeld. Re: Soup Nazis.
Its always been funny but I get that now. If 'they are saying that in some rag,they are Dead wrong. Don't always believe what you read and this is why I won't touch this one as follows: Yellow 'cedar'/Cyprus (Cupressus nootkatensis) named from Nootka island/sound (there is a place that will get ya killed quick) **isn't even from the cedar family**but is related to the juniper.
it looks so similar to Western Red Cedar? Thats a weird one????
Yeah woos31 doesn't sound fun to cut that at all. Had a GF from Madras Oregon in '99 she took me Arrowhead hunting then out to Christmas valley in the desert with just juniper trees.
Even red cedar with (RC) its hard to bite into on a different angle cut. I don't waste my time trying if I come up short. You are generally creating a shallower undercut on the far side by bitting in close to your holding wood with (Sq C)
You now need to reset your dogs on the cutline somewhere down from the corner you started and the low part of your Humboldt and take another piece of the pie...it doesn't take long.

Thanks and safe cutting to all, friends.
Peace out

Yellow-cedar, or cypress, used to be Chamaecyparis nootkatensis but changed to Callitropsis nootkatensis just a couple of years ago. It had also been called Xanthocyparis nootkatensis. Cupressus isn't necessarily incorrect but I believe it predates Chamaecyparis in use. There is tons of specifics in scientific classification of species.

As pointed out yellow-cedar and juniper are related in that they are part of the same family (Cupressaceae, cypress) but are of different genus. Family, Genus, Species.

Family: Cupressaceae; Genus: Callitropsis; Species: nootkatensis - yellow-cedar/cypress
Family: Cupressaceae; Genus: Juniperus; Species: occidentalis - western juniper. Which is most likely what Woos is referring to.
Family: Cupressaceae; Genus: Thuja; Species: plicata - western redcedar.

I found a Silvey grinder for square last week at the shop. I've been thinking of trying it out when I gave time.

If shipping it wasn't so tough, probably would consider selling it. I also found a grinder for circular saw blades and hand saws.

I'm curious, what model Silvey is it?

What would the shipping to the lower 48 be?

Just curious. It might open my Craigslist searches.

Yes, what Woos is talking about
Or at least, I know the Cypress conection but this is how it gets weird for me...we call it,yellow, Nootka or Alaska cedar BUT dosen't route back to cedar, Its wrongfully called cedar evidently.
*check out another site if you haven't seen that yet?
Seems its been changing and first studied in the 1700's as Hudson's Bay Company moved in to Nootka Sound for fur trade

You might look the Portland craigslist or do a Google search

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I was incorrect on the brand, just checked since I'm here at the shop. It's a Simington, I think a 450. It looks similar to this, but the motor is smaller and black. The model number isn't listed on it, but it looks quite similar to this:

http://*********************/showthread.php?9825-setting-up-a-Simington-450

Hmm.. I'm not sure why the site is being blanked out? It's www. masterblaster
It's on a tripod stand with a lamp.

Here is the newer version I think.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...-C-Square-Chisel-Chain-Grinder-with-Stand.axd

Another option is an inverter for like a fridge they will work with a grinder that's what I carry for my pro sharp if we too far from home and plug into the pickup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I just clip the battery charger on it... probably a fire hazard but so is about everything I do at home anyway, I would imagine that hooking it to a proper battery would give it some balls. It originally had a little converter taped to the side, it would spin the wheel, but you where pretty much working with momentum, the battery charger will still bog on a heavy cut, but keeps it moving.

Here you go. It has a 120v plug on it.

Found a Foley "Sharp All" and the other green deal is for sharpening hand saws. according to the manual that's sitting with it.20151120_171016.jpg 20151120_171021.jpg 20151120_171034.jpg 20151120_171101.jpg The other one is a regular chain grinder I think, I couldn't get close enough to see the brand. All this stuff was buried in a pile of other junk in the "back 40" parts room.

Dunno why the pics are all blurry, took them with my Samsung S5. Took some wading to get them, the old man's ankle biter dogs poop all over back there. :mad:

Yellow-cedar, or cypress, used to be Chamaecyparis nootkatensis but changed to Callitropsis nootkatensis just a couple of years ago.

I'll never get used to all the name changes. The phyologenetics guys might be right, but that doesn't make them useful. It's not like I'm gonna carry a gene sequencer out in the field to be able to tell a Douglas-Fir from a Hemlock.

Here you go. It has a 120v plug on it.

Found a Foley "Sharp All" and the other green deal is for sharpening hand saws. according to the manual that's sitting with it.View attachment 462829 View attachment 462830 View attachment 462831 View attachment 462832 The other one is a regular chain grinder I think, I couldn't get close enough to see the brand. All this stuff was buried in a pile of other junk in the "back 40" parts room.

Dunno why the pics are all blurry, took them with my Samsung S5. Took some wading to get them, the old man's ankle biter dogs poop all over back there. :mad:

That shop looks like somewhere I wouldn't mind wandering around for a bit

Latest posts

Back