how much does a cord of cedar weight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpi_jeep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so i know this is a very hard question to answer, but i have seen figures on all kinds of hard woods. anyone have a chart, link, or number?

There's no simple answer, being as cedar is so generic a term for many genuses of trees... western red, dry, might only weigh that much for 80 cubic feet of solid wood, which is an appx measure for a cord...128 cf, stacked and split.

True cedars, the cedrus genus, also dry to quite light weight. port orford cedar is harder, thus heavier......

Not cedar, but sequoia butt wood, fresh cut, can weigh as much as oak, when in full sap.

And "cedrus alantica", blue atlas cedar, which are not native but popular here. Are real heavy wet. I tried to pick up a 4' section 12" dia. it was too heavy to lift over my shoulder. Dry I couldn't say. Arbovitae which has a very distinct cedar aroma is very light. I can lift a 8' x 8" dia wet with no problem.

i guess i worded that wrong, i meant i could find charts on all kinds of different hard woods i just could not find anything about soft woods, cedar to be specific.

thanks for the help guys! :D

It sparks like crazy,
if it matters at all to you.

ok, i see what you mean.

FWIW i have been cutting cedar in my spare time to take to a local sawmill, i have been putting 2 cords on my trailer and just wanted to make sure i wasnt exceeding the axle limits.

Oops.

Oh, O.K.
I just assumed the wood was cut and split.
And you were using it for the fireplace.
But now I see your using it for lumber.
My mistake.:bang:

ok, i see what you mean.

FWIW i have been cutting cedar in my spare time to take to a local sawmill, i have been putting 2 cords on my trailer and just wanted to make sure i wasnt exceeding the axle limits.

I see you are in MO. Must be some grain elevators around, bulk fuel companies, seed suppliers? All of them have scales and will weigh your load for free or a small fee. Only need to do it once.

A very good ratings chart for almost any kind of wood is:

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

Harry K

I see you are in MO. Must be some grain elevators around, bulk fuel companies, seed suppliers? All of them have scales and will weigh your load for free or a small fee. Only need to do it once.

A very good ratings chart for almost any kind of wood is:

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

Harry K

There's also a nice truck stop on 52 with CAT scales.................

Howdy neighbor, I'm in Tipton.

dang its a small world :D

Sho nuff. Trigger Time is down your neck of the woods as well. Are you selling the cord wood? The shavings mill in Loose Creek is giving $90 a cord right now. 48" long 3" minimum. Getting ready to cut some myself this weekend.

Latest posts

Back