How much ice for the chip truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phileroo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The other day we were working on a job site with a frozen lake on the back side of the lot. Conveniently enough, there was a boat landing a few lots down. We had a bunch of brush piled up on the lake side of the house and I dumped a good amount of willow brush right on the ice. Me being lazy and not wanting to haul the brush up the bank so the loader could get it, was thinking about just driving the chip truck and chipper out onto the ice and chipping. Another crew member ended up dragging the brush, so I didn't even try driving out on the ice.

Now usually, my minimum for driving out on the ice is 10ish inches with my pickup. But what do you guys think a F-650 with a Vermeer BC-1500 should have for ice before driving?

I'm not exactly sure how big the chip box is, but its like 12-14ft with a Mancab and then a
5.9 Cummins under the hood. Assume its mostly full of chips.

It's not just about the weight it's about all that vibration from the chipper! I'd do a pickup and dump trailer tho.... I'm not trying to find out how fast a chipper sinks... wood is buoyant maybe it would float the truck and you could just row it to shore if it broke thtough? Idk man just make sure you have an extra pair of socks in the truck not on the ice incase ur feet get wet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Lol, extra socks. I'm liking the floating wood idea. I may have to save that idea for the summer tho when the waters a little warmer.

Im not sure the boss would like us out burning brush. Plus by the time we get a fire going good we would have it cleaned up and b gone. Thanks for that link, that doesn't look like a bad reference to go by.

Im not sure the boss would like us out burning brush. Plus by the time we get a fire going good we would have it cleaned up and b gone. Thanks for that link, that doesn't look like a bad reference to go by.
Now keep in mind that chart does not account for a chipper vibrating and bouncing around in one place. ice roads are designed to have trucks constantly moving. One of the big rules is don't stop...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back