How much line can a 250xp winch hold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced mine with spectra years ago. I think it is 150 feet, and 3/8th... which is far stronger than needed.

How's that holding up wear/abrasion wise? I always figured spectra would pick/grey less than amsteel but amsteel is so easy to splice. Do you run a chain leader?

Amsteel is Spectra...... Amsteel Blue is as well, but is a higher quality spectra.... and is 40-50% higher tensile strength. No need to pay extra for it.

Years ago, I added a jacket from an older double braid line at the hook end to slow wear.

If you find out before I do could you post it so I don't have to call. I wanna lose the cable and switch to Amstel
Ran my 1/2" 3 strand around it, it was originally 120' but I think I've lost about 10' over the last couple of years. It is just a hair too long so I would guess 90' of 1/2". I will probably spring for a 150" of 5/16 amsteel or 125' of 3/8 depending. I'm pretty sure I could break my 3 strand with the winch so I'm not sure if the 5/16 will leave me worry free about it snapping. I may test a 20' section of old new england fly I have to see if it will break it in the next week or so, so I'll keep you guys up to date.

Back