How much wood did everyone go through this WINTER !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolhawk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok here it is , I KNOW EVERYONE MEASURES THERE WOOD PILES IN A DIFFERENT WAY, but how much did you burn .
1. how many square feet are you heating
2. what kind of burner , indoor furnace , owb , stove ,.....
3. How much wood and type , maple , oak.....
For me 100 % heated with Daka indoor wood furnace , 2700 sq. feet , and used 8 cords or 24 face cords give or take , I tried t keep track of my usage just curious to see how much I would use ,And I burn it all birch , maple and ash,
Ok its your turn

That's a tough one. I'm going to guess about the amounts.
Heating 2500 sq 2-story with a Silent Flame Stove.
Approx. 1/2 Red Oak and 1/2 Silver Maple. There was a bit of Black Gum, Hickory, Red Maple, and Chestnut Oak thrown in.
A little over 5 cords. Out of wood and winter is still here. So will probably use 3/4 of a tank of fuel oil also.

Warm winter here. Didn't use 4 cords. Mixed, oak, poplar, some hickory & a bit of pine, with some locust thrown in just to keep things interesting. First time I've burned locust. NICE! :)

And something I couldn't identify, and could hardly split! Crazy crossed wood fibers. I did fight a few hollowed out pieces to the death, and the stuff burned pretty well, but I'll save the rest for when I get a splitter!

1300 square feet, and an old Fisher stove. Overkill for this house, so I have to keep it damped down. Lots of creosote as a result.

Since we add and take away from the pile all winter I had to do some serious mind searching to come up with an answer. I'm thinken that we are at 10 cord. House is 1945 production 2000 ft and also heating 500 feet shop that is reasonably insulated. Am using a 4400 Woodmaster OWB and also heating the domestic water. House is kept very warm because of my blood pressure medication makes me cold all the time. Shop is set at 68. This is our first year with the OWB and I am thrilled with it so far. Ya 10 cord is lots of wood but we use some energy here. As a comparason the winter before we heated the house and water with gas and the shop with wood. Gas bills totaled right at 3K plus we burned 3 cords to heat the shop. My gas bills in the summer run $100 just to heat water. Even if I bought wood and had it delivered my cost savings would be significant using the OWB given that it lasts a few years and we sure hope for more than a few.

wood

I went through 7-8 chords and 5 ton of coal and I'm still burning. The wood was red oak, white oak, cantalpa, red maple, sugar maple, cherry, birch, white ash, chestnut oak, that's mostly it. There are a couple of pieces of other stuff in there but that's about it. I got the cantalpa from a friend that had a tree removed.:hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2: ;) :D :laugh: :rockn:

Since last Sept I've burned about 7 cords of wood and I hope this cool, damp weather will go away. Now I'm in to burning pallets or any other dry wood I can find. I'm heating about 1700sqft with an old Fisher (soon to be replaced).

Still burning!

I burnt about 2.5 cords and I think I've almost burnt as much in April as I did in December....:bang:
Burnt mostly Sugar Maple, White Oak, Black Cherry, and a fair amount of White Cedar and White Pine slabs in a mid-size EPA regency stove heating about 1800sqft of 2004 house.

We tend to run the stove pretty hot so we don't get much creosote build up and I think the stove is more efficient run that way.
We also don't keep the house at 75 degrees, sometimes its only 60 and we don't worry about it too much

In southeast PA

It was a warm winter early on, here in southeast PA. I went through the 2 cords of presplit seasoned wood I had stacked,Then when it got pretty cold in Febuary, about a half cord of scavanged standing dead wood. I eventually even got into some 2 year old elm rounds I had given up on(had them stacked, off the ground), which split pretty easy now( perhaps because they were frozen). I am presently burning more scavenged dead, along with some Ash and Cherry which were taken down over the summer. The Ash is burning well, and, the Cherry is burning great. I know it seems soon for the cherry, but I make sure there is a lot of coals and heat before putting it in.
We have a small Jutul woodstove which really only heats the first floor of our home. We live in an early american farm house built before the revolution, so most of it is stacked stone. We usually only burn on weekends and sometimes monday, because by the time we all get home, on weekdays, it's pretty late and by the time the house warms up, we are going to bed, and leaving early the next morning, so it is just easier to use the oil. On weekends the stove goes 24 hours, and the burner is off. I should add, that just as when the house was built, in the winter, we spend most of our time(when indoors) in the living room with the stove. It is very cozy or small if you prefer.
Our house has three fireplaces, two of which are in the living room. One has the woodstove in it. The other has the exhaust stack for the oil burner in it. We have a third upstairs that is never used. We plan to reroute the oilburner stack and put in another stove eventually, and maybe put one in our kitchen. I guess the wood usage will go up. Thank goodness for little girls, who will eventually be helping to gather fuel for the fire.:dizzy:

Ok here it is , I KNOW EVERYONE MEASURES THERE WOOD PILES IN A DIFFERENT WAY, but how much did you burn .
1. how many square feet are you heating
2. what kind of burner , indoor furnace , owb , stove ,.....
3. How much wood and type , maple , oak.....
For me 100 % heated with Daka indoor wood furnace , 2700 sq. feet , and used 8 cords or 24 face cords give or take , I tried t keep track of my usage just curious to see how much I would use ,And I burn it all birch , maple and ash,
Ok its your turn

1. 1800sf
2. Avalon Olympic
3. Better than 4 cords of 100% fir.

10-20 pcs. of 20" birch and apple.

I'm conserving for next year.
Global cooling is starting then.

:cheers:

burned a mixture of oak, pecan, hackberry, etc

working on 4 1/2 cords for 2500 sf single level ranch home.
using a custom JUCA fireplace insert. 100% heated with wood.

winter was extra cold for Okla.
thought spring was around the corner, until current cold spell hit...

3500 sqft of 1910 house 3 levels
Lopi Liberty
10+ and still burning
Fir & alder (mostly very sparing with the oak)

Owl

9 to 10, heating about 2000 square foot house, and 750 square foot workshop, plus domestic hot water. Free heat Machine owb. Burned everything from pine slabs to dry maple and elm. Still heating here. Supposed to snow again tonight.:deadhorse:

4400 sq' built in late 80's, elmira insert and waterford wood stove, with a gas furnace. 3 cord of beech and 1 cord of maple, give or take another cord. we started burning in october and burnt the last wood last night, sa ya next fall.

About 10 cords of maple, elm beech and pine for heat and domestic hot. Once it warms up around here I'll finish up with some willow to make a quick fire for domestic in the morning. Probably turn the oil back on around June.
Phil

I like to measure it in cubic feet so there is no question as to the amount. I burned 756 cubic feet of oak, maple, beech and birch from Thanksgiving to Easter (wish I had not stopped heating with wood with these cold temps). That’s about 6 cords. 2500 sq. ft on three levels including the basement. Hearthmate (Cat) in basement and VC Winter Warm (Cat) on first floor. Stayed toasty warm until I stopped burning!! Oil is keeping me cold now. Burned about 100 gals of heating oil in Feb and March. Almost none in Dec and Jan. (stoves cannot keep up with low single digit and below temps).

amount burned

In central/western NY, 2600 sq. ft. house, burned a little over 6 cords so far.

I use an insert the first floor and a stove in the basement. No one is home during the week days to keep things hot, otherwise I would have burned much more. Trying to heat exclusively with wood, but on those cold days there was no way to keep up with the heat loss to the outside (I never let the house get under 68 during the day).

MarkG

Latest posts

Back