How much wood do you load in a wood furnace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other idea. If you have a deeper firebox perhaps you could cut some short chunks to put in after or behind the regular pieces you put on the fire.

me thinks hes correct, John..just the wood wall there??? not in your new digs yet, huh???
Lol, the wood walls are 8" think, but the trailer walls are only 2" thick. It's a balmy 20 below now and nice and toasty inside.
I hope to be in the log house by this summer.

Lol, the wood walls are 8" think, but the trailer walls are only 2" thick. It's a balmy 20 below now and nice and toasty inside.
I hope to be in the log house by this summer.
Looks like you don't have much snow yet either. I'm sure banking those walls would make a difference also.

Regardless thats a neat looking place you have.

Thx, I banked all around with snow but need more. Maybe an igloo would be warmer. Lol

My little cabin in Maine years ago I did banked small square haybales in the fall, then in the spring used them for the garden, the Ruth Stout method. I went right up the dang sides and around what few windows there were. Made a big difference, both in keeping heat inside and a spectacular garden.

Been tinkering with my DS Stoves 400-09. The firebox measures 16"x29". The maximum log length is 26 inches. I'm burning 14"-18" splits now--mostly ash with some hard maple and red oak. We put in usually
5 splits max to 'fill'.

I'm lucky to get 6 hours burn--we wake up and the house is cold--62 degrees.

So how much can I cram into this thing without damage?

The interior of the box has brick linings. Above the brick is the secondary burner tubes that run vertical up to the top. Can I load wood into the 'metal' section of the firebox above the brick?

Would like to get 10 hours--load at night, load when I wake up, load when I get home from work and then repeat the process.

Thanks
I have the DS Machine Ecomiser 200-10, no forced draft, no thermostat, just manual spinner knobs on ash door for draft. I spoke to Leroy at DS machine and he told me you can load above the firebrick just don't let the wood rest on the steel sides. Since you can also burn coal in these they can take a lot of heat before warping. I load mine to the top of the brick with 18" long splits and then mound a few more on top w/o touching the sides. I also throw in 2 ecobricks to extend the burn. I still have some coals after 8 hrs. open the ash door and the slide baffle, load it up, come back in 5-10 minutes and shut the ash door and slide the baffle back. I am heating a 3300 sq. st. ranch (includes finished basement). Keeps the house at 75-80 during 30 degree weather. Keeps it at 72 during 0 weather. Hope this helps.

My concern wasn't coals, it was more about not waking up cold so I didn't turn the air control all the way down. I'd rather get up to load the stove at 2 than get up cold at 5.

Latest posts

Back