how much wood do you use per day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it burned a lot hotter. How much? All I can tell you is that if I loaded up the insert with it, and left the primary damper open 100% of the way, the chimney would be glowing red (it is placed inside the existing 8"x10" clay liner) . I have to close the damper to about 70% open to keep that from happening. The 1 year old wood I have to have the primary damper open 100% and crack the secondary damper to get it to completely burn - and that is still without turning the chimney red. If I don't crack the secondary damper, I wind up with enough charcoal in the insert that I can only put 1 split in at a time. And the house temp drops doing that. It's amazing to me the amount of BTU's it takes to turn water to steam.

I think your information is pretty interesting. I am mostly a fireplace guy, but have recently acquired a vintage cast iron wood burning parlor-cook stove. still to hook up, install. from what I have gathered the art of wood stoves/heaters is a bit dif than that of a fireplace. after an afternoon that ran deep into the cool night's air... moving in some nice oak trunks from couple of houses down the street from me, that I had to cut into chunks first, today... once laid out on drive, I thot about your mention of 24 cu ft needs daily. I guess I hauled in 30-40 cu ft today, maybe even bit more than 50! 4-5 or more wheel barrow loads, once split. cutting it up to be moveable warmed me up, moving it in, warmed me up, too... splitting it will also. and definitely stacking it as well. all I can say for sure is this: gathering firewood is hard work! :nofunny: lol. the equipment can make if easier to do, but it is still... h-a-r-d work! satisfying, for sure, but I am further reminded why I have no competition for the oak wood that constantly comes down in my neighborhood! bringing it in is one thing, but it still needs to be processed!.... of course, there in lies the fun!!! :yes:

I definitely handle it too many times, but unless I can figure out a way to cut down on the number of times I'm touching it, I'll have to keep doing it this way.

I can stack about 6 cords inside the building, and am accumulating material to build a covered lean-to outside that same building.

Unfortunately, if you start counting the number of times I'm touching the wood, with cutting down the tree as #1, by the time its turned into ashes I touch it 11-12, maybe 13 times.

But, that's a topic for another thread.

One of the best decisions I ever did was build a lean- to the full length of my garage and close in one side .the benefits of a dedicated woodshed can't be understated if you burn full time all winter . It holds around 5.5 cords( enough for one heating season) . keeps me from digging through snow keeps the rain off and keeps me from playing with blue tarps

I definitely handle it too many times, Unfortunately, if you start counting the number of times I'm touching the wood, with cutting down the tree as #1, by the time its turned into ashes I touch it 11-12, maybe 13 times. But, that's a topic for another thread.

I rarely have to cut down a tree. but i'd say handling about 5-6 times... hmm, more?

1- preparing, etc and cutting trunk or limb

2- loading

3-unloading

4- stacking pre-splitting

5- splitting

6- firewood stack

7- into the house

8- into the fireplace

(omg! but less for outdoors use in Brutus) thot getting firewood only warmed you twice... cutting it and burning it! LOL right!! ~ :laughing:

One of the best decisions I ever did was build a lean- to the full length of my garage and close in one side .the benefits of a dedicated woodshed can't be understated if you burn full time all winter . It holds around 5.5 cords( enough for one heating season) . keeps me from digging through snow keeps the rain off and keeps me from playing with blue tarps
the back 12x26 piece on the house,,used to be just the ne half,,the nw was added later. under this was crawl space!! many frozen bathroom pipes for a while...then one year, ,i dug it out,, and put full basement under it!!! much better!! got a coal door,, and put in the east side of block wall....on east wall,,is canned goods,,and the rest is dry firewood storage!! 8 foot high ,,12 foot wide,, and 22 foot long,, because of canned good storage and walk area.....:D:D let er blow!!!

Latest posts

Back