How not to cut down a tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure wish you guys wouldn't post those dang You Tube vids. I spend the next hour there, going from one vid to the next. Dang it all!:msp_ohmy:

Ted

Before they even started you can tell the tree is leening towards house and it was going that way.:help:

First time I saw this one it was at least a year ago. Every time I've watched this one the guy still does the same thing after he makes the face cut. He starts his back cut ( well it looks this way to me) close to the side near the house.

Looks like he'd change sides the next time and it won't fall on the porch and house. :)

Nosmo

Before they even started you can tell the tree is leening towards house and it was going that way.:help:

It has a natural lean that way.

It didn't have to go that way.

Off the video alone, which doesn't always tell the whole story, I think it could've been swung away from the house pretty easily.

A bull rope or two and a crew that knew what they were doing sure would've been great insurance.

What he was doing? It was doomed to failure. Doomed.

You know what they say... Once you've seen one tree felling gone wrong video on youtube........ you want to see them all, sometimes twice :laugh:

I think the best part of the video is listening to the lady.. just the monotone, not excited voice, makes me think he's done somthing like that before...

It looks like he wanted the tree to go towards the lake, so he put the notch that way thinking that the notch would have some magical power to reverse the effect of gravity and pull the tree away from the house.

When I was 16 or 17 I was helping my friend's family get firewood cut on their farm and had a big red oak to drop. It was leaning across a stream and the last thing I wanted to do was to stand in the stream to limb and buck this tree, so I put a huge notch on the other side of the tree. I started my back cut on the stream side thinking that the huge notch would "make" the tree fall the other way. Well, about 3 inches in to the back cut, she sat down hard on the bar. That was the first time I ever had to take the powerhead off a saw. My friend and I went and got his Dad and I remember his Dad just laughing his head off when he saw what my plan was.

His Dad dropped the tree across the stream, handed me my bar and said "go limb it up!"

It looks like he wanted the tree to go towards the lake, so he put the notch that way thinking that the notch would have some magical power to reverse the effect of gravity and pull the tree away from the house.

When I was 16 or 17 I was helping my friend's family get firewood cut on their farm and had a big red oak to drop. It was leaning across a stream and the last thing I wanted to do was to stand in the stream to limb and buck this tree, so I put a huge notch on the other side of the tree. I started my back cut on the stream side thinking that the huge notch would "make" the tree fall the other way. Well, about 3 inches in to the back cut, she sat down hard on the bar. That was the first time I ever had to take the powerhead off a saw. My friend and I went and got his Dad and I remember his Dad just laughing his head off when he saw what my plan was.

His Dad dropped the tree across the stream, handed me my bar and said "go limb it up!"

Did yuh?

Heck yeah. Even though it was over 30 years ago, I remember standing in that freezing cold stream cutting through those limbs and wondering how I ever agreed to volunteer to help them out. I just wanted to drop trees and run saws, but I didn't realize how much work it actually was. The odd thing is I still volunteer to do similar work on the hiking trails in my town. I guess it's in my blood...

That's a nice sized tree to drop on the house. Like others have said he was doomed from the start. Easily could have been done with a few ropes, but sometime people think they can out smart gravity haha.

First time I saw this one it was at least a year ago. Every time I've watched this one the guy still does the same thing after he makes the face cut. He starts his back cut ( well it looks this way to me) close to the side near the house.

Looks like he'd change sides the next time and it won't fall on the porch and house. :)

Nosmo

Did you think he would do something different if you watched it again? LOL

Latest posts

Back