How old were you when you first ran a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 14 or 15 when ran my first one. Still have the saw . Was told if i could get it started I could run it . Most of the older members will remember how hard some of the older saws started . The saw was a 740 McCulloch 24in bar.

i was 11 maybe 12 it was pioneer mod 11 i tracked the saw down and it still runs but it needs work its kinda on my list of saws to get wood worthy

I first ran a small Stihl when I was fifteen bucking and splitting wood for a guy who sold firewood on Tug Hill where I grew up, made $5.00 a truckl oad to do it.

Maybe 11, my family harvested pulp wood

It was an electric, I did not get to use the 031AV until I was 12!!
It was torture waiting for that spring to roll around. I guess that means I have been cutting trees for over 10 years.

I was 12, got my first "own saw" at 14, a few years after the dinosaurs went extinct and the wheel went from square to round.

I started my tree killing at age 10, with hand tools, then at 12 a Homelite XL12, two years later I was allowed to use a C5 Homelite. I bought my first chainsaw when I was 16, it was a lightly used McCulloch 250, I hauled that old bastard around for the next decade. By 18 I was beating up 100cc+ chainsaws.

I only just started using chainsaws two or three years ago. I was never really interested in learning to use one I guess because they aren't the safest tools around. But one day I was helping my dad with some logs we had brought home and he was taking a break so I fired up the saw and gave it a try and I've been hooked ever since. The main saw that I use is the Homelite EZ Automatic. I like the older saws more then the newer ones I guess becuase they sound and look better IMHO.

First saw age

The first time I used a saw I was probably around 10 or 11. I used a Poulan woodshark to cut wood for us and sold some to family members. Usually around 20 to 30 truck loads a summer and fall. I used that saw for around 10 to 11 years before it went bad. I used it to cut stuff from 4" to 18" all the time. My dad ran a Homelite Super XL AO, I always loved the sound of that saw, got to run it a few years before it went bad after 25 years of service. Cutting wood is my blood. My papaw logged for 35-40 years, grandpa worked in sawmill for a while, my dad logged for a few years and worked in saw mill. Now I want to continue the heritage of my family. Being a teacher and a logger will be time consuming.

I was about 6, my father worked for Homelite so I got an early
start. Started out with a Zip and sure was glad when the XL-12
came out.

Around 10 or so with an electric Remington. At the time my dad had a John Deere (Echo) cs60v that he had bought new about 5 years prior. I still have that saw but it has a cracked case after a tree barberchaired and swatted it out of his hands only to have it smash into some large rocks.

The funny thing is he stopped cutting fire wood when I was 8 and didn't start up again until I was 16. So there is a big chuck of time where the only chainsaw use I had was clearing up storm damage. I'm making up for lost time though not that I have my own house that I heat with wood.

Back