How should I approach the rot in this fresh slab?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You're the doctor, what is the Rx?

• Quickly build a solar kiln and dry it

• Soak with glycol

• Remove punky area

• Throw the slab away

• Air dry it

• Other: (comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.

coltree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, had to jump on this 30" hickory log sooner than I was ready to. It's got a great fungal line in solid wood, but also some punky wood off on the bottom right corner, as well as 3" width of slightly punky wood in the mid-right area. What should I do? Vote, and/or comment! 20171222_122924.jpg 20171222_124850.jpg

I voted throw it away. I suppose I could suggest make 1x3 boards and discard bad sections. Hickory is not like oak where it detoriates from the outside in. I can not really comment by looking at those pictures and do not make slabs myself. Is glycol along the lines of bora care? Kind of sounds like anti freeze solution to me. Might search out power post beetle if not familiar with that.

I voted throw it away. I suppose I could suggest make 1x3 boards and discard bad sections. Hickory is not like oak where it detoriates from the outside in. I can not really comment by looking at those pictures and do not make slabs myself. Is glycol along the lines of bora care? Kind of sounds like anti freeze solution to me. Might search out power post beetle if not familiar with that.

Mkay... Thanks for voting!

Yeah, borax is a surface treatment that will not penetrate into the punky area. Can't remember if boracare also has antifreeze in it...

I'll look into the powder post beetle issue. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I have never milled Hickory but I encounter this a lot with the wild cherry in my area. I just mill it anyway, air dry it, then cut out the rotten section. Sometimes if the wood isnt too punky the heavy spalting found deeper in the log will add value (especially if the customer is going to epoxy finish the wood anyway). My rule of thumb is to lightly hit the wood with the tip of a knife and if the knife tip penetrates more than acceptable, just cut out the area entirely.

Latest posts

Back