How Should I Change My Carving Saw Arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincyhoke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, My current setup is a Husqvarna 45 with a 12 inch dime tip and a Husqvarna 50 (55 jug and piston) with a roller nose 16 inch bar. I am going to buy a quarter tip bar and buying another saw is always in the cards. I was looking for some opinions on whether to throw a quarter tip on one of the saws I already have, or buy a new saw with the quarter tip installed. Any response is appreciated.

I have a small saw with an 8" dime tip that I use on just about every carving. It's great for carving eyes, beak details and the like. I make chain loops from broken 12" chains :)

Have a look at the .043 chain 1/4 pitch chain on a Cannon dime tip bar. This narrow chain goes through hardwood with even less effort than standard 1/4 pitch carving chain.

I didn't leave my quarter tip bar on the saw for long. Just didn't need it with my style of carving.

I have a small saw with an 8" dime tip that I use on just about every carving. It's great for carving eyes, beak details and the like. I make chain loops from broken 12" chains :)

Have a look at the .043 chain 1/4 pitch chain on a Cannon dime tip bar. This narrow chain goes through hardwood with even less effort than standard 1/4 pitch carving chain.

I didn't leave my quarter tip bar on the saw for long. Just didn't need it with my style of carving.
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a woodland pro dime tip 1/4 pitch kit from baileys on the 45. I carve mostly bears, trees, and am trying to branch out. I am just looking to see if maybe it would make some transitions easier between blocking and detail to have the quarter tip.

Latest posts

Back