How Should I Clean My Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for a basic way to clean a chainsaw of mine. It's dirty, caked on saw dust and some oil, etc.

I've never really taken the time to clean a saw. They've always seem to not get that dirty to begin with. I've used misc. cleaners before and scrubbed them a little with a paper towel.

I don't mind putting in some elbow grease, but if there's a product I can use that helps break down the crud, etc, I'll be glad to hear what you use. I would like to clean the exterior and remove the clutch cover and pull rope cover and soak them.

I think I've used just 409, a tooth brush, paper towels and elbow grease. Anyone have any good ideas or a good cleaning agent, besides gas?

How do you get your saws spic and span? Hmm, think I just came up with an idea there. LOL!

StihlRockin'

I dont use paper towels on plastic because they can leave it hazy. The blue scott towels work good or an old t-shirt.

As for a solvent diluted simple green works good but will stain aluminum if you don't get it all off. S-100 is better but expensive.

I know it doesn't help your situation as it stands right now, it sounds like your saw(s) is plenty dirty...

BUT, I take the 5 minutes to take apart the saw and blow it off with compressed air after every use.

Keeps everything clean and tidy. No build-up, easy to look over the saw after every use to be sure that it will run fine next time....

I run mine through the dishwasher. (When the ole lady ain't home.) I take the bar off so it fits in, then blow what will come off with the air hose, throw a splash of Simple Green in & set it on a short cycle...Rick

Oregon do a spray cleaner which I've found to be excellent. It's very expensive but will clean old resin off bars in no time. It washes off with cold water and leaves no residue. :clap:

Clean it often and you will never regret it; I clean mine each time I come in from the field.

Three good cleaners: (1) Purple Cleaner by the gallon from Wal-Mart and rinse with water before it drys; (2) Condensed version of Simple Green by the gallon from Home Depot; and, (3) Kerosene. In all three instances I use a plastic or flexible metal scraper to get rid of the heavy crap, followed by an air hose. Then I apply a cleaner with an old stubby paint brush, set briefly, rinse, followed by an air hose. Just be careful with the air hose; don't stand downwind or do it near your car or spouse as the dirt flies. In a pinch I've used diesel fuel; just don't use gasoline as it's too dangerous.

A good plastic or flexible metal scraper is neat to remove all the heavy crappy stuff before you use the brush and cleaner.

So far I've been talking about the saw, bar, and chain guard cover.

On the air filter, take it apart with a screw driver tip, soak it in a good cleaner (I use old coffee cans for this) then blow carefully from the inside out with air hose, they will look like new. If the filter is heavily coated, I use a scraper or air hose to gently remove the bulk of it; before taking it apart to soak, etc.

Having said all of the above; soap and water are still good cleaners.

Last edited:
armorall multi purpose cleaner works wonders. never had any problems with residue or fading. just follow directions on bottle pretty cheap too

I like to use cans of carb cleaner... I pick up a case every time i go to w-mart [$1.14 per can.]

Hey, thanks guys! Looks like some good ideas to me. I'll pick some of each. Unfortunately my air compressor is not that good and is yet another thing I'll be picking up this season. I do have an air hose attached to an air tank and will use a blow nozzle on that to remove the looser material.

I appreciate the help. Can't wait to get this bad boy cleaned up looking spiffy again!

Thanks.

StihlRockin'
icon14.gif

Compressed air with a good gun. We use a blaster style gun. High volume, get most of the debris out of the nooks and crannys. I would steer clear of cleaning products or putting your engine in the dishwasher.

There are a few issues here, getting water in the air intake/filter. Also could cause problems with the clutch/bearing end of the things. These engines are made to be a little dirty.

Just use a good compressor on a daily basis. It's like having your whte baseball pants bleached by your mom when you were a kid. Whats the point? They are just going to get dirty again.

I have a good one for you guys. The other day I am doing a land clearing job with a rented chipper ( I was way outside my normal work area, different state)

The chipper was ridiculously dull and I had to use my 338 to cut up the brush as it went into the chipper. I set my saw on the ground with the brake on and pushed some brush through. When I turned around my saw had sunk into the saturated ground to the bar. The engine was still running and the only thing left sticking out of the ground was the bar.

To make a long story short I have to clean all the dirt out of the saw, I mean I have to take off the entire cover, and then do the cleaning. I am thinking this might be best left to Husky certified

Any suggestions?

Get a lighter saw :spam:
Like a dolmar or stihl :greenchainsaw::chainsaw:

Kidding, but wow thats crazy hahaha. Torture test on your own saw, I imagine the flywheel spun mud into every recess.

All the previous mentioned methods will work. Its not like you want to get the thing sterile clean. Just functionally clean.

Last edited:
Cleaning saws

At the end of each day or soon after that . Old toothbrushes ,picks ,small can of solvent . Don't be afraid to remove all covers, panels ect . It's amazing how much gunk will collect around coils , fins , wiring ,hoses ,within the handle . In my opinion if it's not meant to be there get rid of it promptly as it can only lead to trouble , ie: cooling restrictions , chafing and rubbing wear . It's so nice to pickup your saw knowing it is clean , serviced and ready to run .

I'm surprised no one mentioned GUNK in spray can.
Basically just kerosene in a can..cheap & easy to use.
Varsol was the best...imho...but hard to find now.

Themadd1 said:
The other day I am doing a land clearing job with a rented chipper... was ridiculously dull and I had to use my 338 to cut up the brush. ... I set my saw on the ground with the brake on and pushed some brush through. When I turned around my saw had sunk into the saturated ground to the bar. ...the only thing left sticking out of the ground was the bar.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, get it some therapy. Obviously it discovered what brand of saw it was and was so ashamed, the first chance he got, he stuck his powerhead into the sand...err ground.

minirofl_dark.gif

StihlRockin' :D

"Thanks for the tips! :)"

Thanks for the additional tips guys. I cleaned up a little of it by soaking the clutch plate and rewind side cover in warm water with soap & Spic N' Span. I also sprayed some concentrated Simple Green on it as well. The pine pitch really made it dirty and was difficult to remove. It really took some elbow grease to do a satisfactory job. It's still not as clean as it could be, externally, but looks like part of the crew now. At least I'm not embarassed by it. LOL!

Thanks again for the help. I'll be trying several of y'alls tips as well.

StihlRockin'

Starting fluid ?

anyone else use starting fluid & compressed air. I use starting fluid to clean all kinds of things it drys fast and leaves nothing behind.

Latest posts

Back