How Should I Clean My Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also forgot to mention that what appeared to work well is a hand cleaner called Fast Orange. The reason I said "appeared" is because the pine tar was dried on the saw for a long time and was uncertain if it was the many cleaners I used or the elbow grease with some umpf behind it, that did the real work. Fast Orange has grit or some sort of abrasive in it, so when you use it be sure it's not on a surface you don't mind being scratched or after it has soaked wipe it up before scrubbing.

StihlRockin'

U guys don't mind hitting your saw with water? I don't think I would want to spray water all over my saw. I use compressed air and then spray Honda Cleaner Polish and the plastic and use a soft rag. Honda Cleaner Polish is no longer avail. in PA. They claim the kids were huffing it. I go to Ohio and pick up several cans at a time. When I had my Harley I would use it on the bike. You could even use it when the bike was dusty without scratching. It is really good stuff.

Daily the saws get blown out entirely after use, and generally once a week or every two, the saws will get torn down a little better, clean and de-burr the bar, blow out all the nooks and crannies in the casing, blow out the clutches and chain locks, filter, etc etc. :)

U guys don't mind hitting your saw with water? I don't think I would want to spray water all over my saw. I use compressed air and then spray Honda Cleaner Polish and the plastic and use a soft rag. Honda Cleaner Polish is no longer avail. in PA. They claim the kids were huffing it. I go to Ohio and pick up several cans at a time. When I had my Harley I would use it on the bike. You could even use it when the bike was dusty without scratching. It is really good stuff.

just a tip for all the cleaning methods,,,,,,,,,,put the choke on,,,, before you start cleaning,,, or working on your saw......if you pull the air filter out,, you don't need that stuff falling into the motor... same goes for using compressed air to clean,,, you don't need to force grit into your motor....

to clean my saws,, i spray them with brake cleaner,,, then wash them down with a hose....

i guess you don't have to work in the rain,, if your worried about water....

our saws work 8 hours a day,, 5-6 days a week , all year....it aint about showing,, its about going !!!! shine don't cut any faster !!!!!! JMO

You don't work in the rain????

Working in the rain and snow is a wee bit different that taking the pressure washer to the saw with the covers off. I suppose you could, it just never occured to me to hose one down. I use my pressure washer on my four wheelers, skid steer, Rhino, log splitter. Maybe I will give er a try.

Last edited:
I use old toothbrushes to get the crud off with the simple green cleaner. I also like to use a set of dentist tools for the hard to reach spots. Do any of you have a workbench set up for all of your saw maintenance? The wife seems to be getting upset with me using the ole coffee table.

Working in the rain and snow is a wee bit different that taking the pressure washer to the saw with the covers off. I suppose you could, it just never occured to me to hose one down. I use my pressure washer on my four wheelers, skid steer, Rhino, log splitter. Maybe I will give er a try.

The dishwasher rules with a splash of Simple Green. Leaves no residue. Send the ole lady on a long shopping trip & set the timer on "short wash". Like mentioned before, close the choke...Rick

By far the most effective cleaner I've used is Stihl's Special Cleaner (Part no.
0000 881 9400 - in the UK). Expensive-ish but very good .

100% Mineral Spirits works wonders. Some are familiar with "Varsol"..... Varsol is 100% Mineral Spirits (aka Paint Thinner). Don't worry, it wont hurt or fade any of the plastics. I just brush it on, let it sit for about a minute, then blow it off.

Thank you gentleman for the additional replies. You can bet I'll be trying several of the ideas to get this saw nice and spiffy.

It is hard, however, to pass up advice from a father with multiple children when giving advice on how to clean up marker stains. LOL!

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

Thank you gentleman for the additional replies. You can bet I'll be trying several of the ideas to get this saw nice and spiffy.

It is hard, however, to pass up advice from a father with multiple children when giving advice on how to clean up marker stains. LOL!

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

Let me know how the dishwasher works for you. Don't forget to close the choke. Thanx/Rick

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

Ok, its been a week now. Any verdict? My moneys on the dishwasher...Rick

This post ended up being confusing to me because someone who stated they had multiple children used such-and-such product with excellent results and I wanted to try that method first... but when I went back to search the posts for that particular reply, I could NOT find it! I looked through each post 3 times.

I'm not sure how the dishwasher would do internally, but I gather it would do just fine for outside the saw. However, my dishwasher hasn't been used as a dishwasher for at least 20 years! It's used as a storage place now.

I ended up using concentrated Simple Green and some other products and still am not sure what really worked because I used all of them... plus I did a lot of physical scrubbing, so I think good ol' elbow grease worked the best. I also submerged some parts I removed in hot soapy water which seemed to help as well.

========================

Since then fellows I have purchased a 25gal 5.5hp air compressor and have a standard blow nozzle along with one that has a long narrow neck to blow into tight spots and really concentrate the blow stream in one spot. I waited long enough for the compressor and you can bet I'll be using it to clean my saws!

Thanks for the replies.

StihlRockin'

I like Zep degreaser and carb cleaner. What the Zep wont get, the carb cleaner will make sparkle. Of course blow it out and let it dry good before trying to start it again if you used carb cleaner!

Compressed air is the only thing my repair guy tells me to use. And remember to lightly blow out the air filter. Blow it too hard and you'll make larger holes that fines can pass through. Also, keep in mind, any wet materials that don't dry will collect dust and dirt that much faster next time you use it. So long as the air cleaner is clean and the vents are clear and she runs fine, who cares what it looks like IMO.

I agree with ThrillMaine and CapeTrees. Compressed air is strong enough to get all the grease and oil and caked on sawdust off. When your done the saws look like new. As long as you have a compresser (And I imagine it would be hard to own a tree business without one) its much cheaper than going through cleaners and shop towels and such. Just get a long compresser hose and run it outside because is sure can get messy... By the way If you don't mind me asking Capetrees, whats your company name, I live in Mashpee so I must have seen you around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back