How to Break-In a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnAlbers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the best way to break in a saw that has a new piston and cylinder installed? Do you let the unit just set and run through a tank of gas without touching the trigger? Thank you for your help.

John

Saw is a 281 looking at putting a 288 piston and cylinder in it

Last edited:
NO! Fire that beast up and put her to work!
If you want an east-coast saw, baby it like you said. Be sure to buy a case, or better yet, have one made. Don't let it get rained on!

Fire it up, let it warm up, make a few cuts to fully warm it up, check the carb adjustments to make sure it's not lean, and then cut some wood. Repeat and retune the carb as necessary. Babying a saw by idling it doesn't seat the rings properly. Just make sure to warm it up before running it too hard. Once it's warm, just run it.

RUn it like you stole it!

Just kidding. I try to stay out of wide open for a tank or two, I said try... After that just run it like any saw. It actually takes about 10 tanks for the saw to reach full potential.

-pat

I like to let the saw warm up gradually, but then go ahead and work it. I don't mind giving it full throttle in little spurts, but I don't like to run max rpm's for a gallon or so of gas. Also, letting it idle for a half a minute or so before you turn it off is also a good thing.

Back