how to build a supersplit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy2b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone built one of these? If so looking for plans and costs of materials?
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks-----------Ian

If anyone wants to try a design, we can machine and heat treat for you very reasonably, especially if the quantity is more than one. CNC mill/turn, and wire-cut the gear rack and pinion. Will even draw a solid model of the design to make sure it will work first.

www.wirtzwireedm.com Hey, it doesn't hurt to get the word out.

I'll bit on this...

I have a friend who runs a metal fab shop, who can do any welding/cutting and what not.
I'd buy a copy of plans/material list & the machined parts. Was going to buy one but I have the 6hp robin as well as the trailer frame to put everything on.

Keep me in mind!

I believe that Kellog has made such an animal. You might try a search of his post may tell you something. Or a PM may give you some clue's.

Just grabbin at straws but it may be worth a shot.

Owl

down on the farm

I'd like to thank everyone for there input. but I think I have figured it out.
Down on the farm we had a hay baler pull type that worked the same way but the fly wheel is much bigger and had alot more punch,it used to rock the tractor and the wagon when running...:)

Now if I could downsize it a bit,not like home improvement w/tim allen. Otherwise I might be launching firewood satalite':jawdrop: s
Thanks Again Ian

Super Split, no, I don't think so

I've been searching for a splitter. Looked at Tractor Supply, etc. Talked with Super Split guy, etc. I expect to have large diameter butt ends to deal with and I am NOT gonna lift 'em. I'm buying a horizontal-vertical, likely an Iron and Oak or Timberwolf, 22 ton. Super Split is likely very, very good for logs that are liftable. But, this guy ain't liftin' no hernia busters in the future as I get older. I'm playing it safe.

I've been searching for a splitter. Looked at Tractor Supply, etc. Talked with Super Split guy, etc. I expect to have large diameter butt ends to deal with and I am NOT gonna lift 'em. I'm buying a horizontal-vertical, likely an Iron and Oak or Timberwolf, 22 ton. Super Split is likely very, very good for logs that are liftable. But, this guy ain't liftin' no hernia busters in the future as I get older. I'm playing it safe.

I purchased Northern Tool's 22 Ton Horz/Vert with a 5hp Honda Engine. The 5hp rating on the Honda is VERY deceiving, it has 7.6 ft/lbs of torque! It has gone through everything that I've been able to throw at it, lots of oak with major knots and V's. I would recommend it to anyone. :clap:

My only grip is that it is so well balanced to move by hand that it makes it much more difficult to pull behind an average lawn tractor on minor hills because there is very little weight on the tongue.

Smart man. They've got to be reasonably liftable for SuperSplit, or you've got to pre-bust them with a hydraulic to get them to be liftable. We did a couple cords of the very heavy stuff yesterday and used the hydraulic in vertical mode to bust the big ones into thirds before running them through the SuperSplit. If I were going to do a high proportion of that I'd stick with your strategy of just using a good hydraulic splitter.

I believe that Kellog has made such an animal. You might try a search of his post may tell you something. Or a PM may give you some clue's.
Owl

I watched the video of Kellog's design in operation. Neat and innovative, but at the point the video was taken, about 1/8th the speed of SuperSplit or less. I'm still quite green at the SuperSplit operation (under 8 cords so far) and even so I can split just about as fast as two men working can lift logs 12" and under up to it. Bigger logs with 5 or 6 splits per piece I can keep one man going at it full-court press.

It would be cool if someone could come up with a design that could be built, with some machines shop help like posters here have offered, and one that doesn't infringe on SuperSplit patents. It'd need to be really fast and rugged to justify doing it. Consider safety in the design. You do not want to be in the same county if one of the flywheels came off, nor if the pusher hit the splitter blade and failed to stop. And you don't want to have your hand near a machine where the splitting action might engage accidentally from vibration or a bump. Other than that, go for it!

Philobite,

Consider safety in the design.

The Kellog splitter actually runs at 10+ hits per second and the feed mechanism can run at any speed including as fast as the Supersplit. However the Supersplit speed although productive is not safe. The kellog video shows a safe speed.

I believe the Supersplit original patent is
Patent number: 4116251
Filing date: Jul 22, 1977
Issue date: Sep 26, 1978

This has long expired.

Down on the farm we had a hay baler pull type that worked the same way but the fly wheel is much bigger and had alot more punch,it used to rock the tractor and the wagon when running...:)

Now if I could downsize it a bit,not like home improvement w/tim allen. Otherwise I might be launching firewood satalite':jawdrop: s
Thanks Again Ian

Damit, you thought of the baler trick too hugh? Here, picture this If you have the whole baler, you coud power it up, chamber only, drop the wood in and stand back.

Philobite,
The Kellog splitter actually runs at 10+ hits per second and the feed mechanism can run at any speed including as fast as the Supersplit. However the Supersplit speed although productive is not safe. The kellog video shows a safe speed.

Kellog:

Hmmm... I've now had the chance to split about 15 cords of tanoak and one of doug fir with my SuperSplit HD in the past couple weeks. I don't see how the Supersplit speed is unsafe ipso facto. I can see, perhaps, where for certain people who don't pay attention to instructions or who don't think about what they're doing with their hands, the SuperSplit speed might get them into trouble. In that sense the SuperSplit would not be for the rental market.

I find it much safer for me than a hydraulic splitter in that a) I'm able to get the splitting done quickly while I'm physically energetic and mentally fresh. I'm not waiting around for the cycle times and I'm not bending over waiting for it to finish. That's a big plus for safety. b) I have much less of the hand, wrist and arm injuries and bruising that comes with pulling splits apart that happens with hydraulics. The SuperSplit acts more like an ax in that the speed of the strike forces the wood apart more convincingly than some hydraulics.

I know you've mentioned kick-outs in another post. Yep, they can and do happen from time to time because of the the higher speed of the SS. However, I've discovered... so what? The speed of the kick-out (and I've been bumped by them) is not sufficient to really do any harm. Just don't have your face down next to the log.

The several people I've had around the SS are impressed with the volume of wood split (a little over a cord an hour) and how fresh I am after doing several cords. It's a way of viewing safety that's more comprehensive and integrated and I think it's a good way to view it. The fact of the matter is that splitting safety (or lack thereof) is intertwined with fatigue and the amount of time just standing in front of the machine. I'd encourage you to think about safety in this broader context and consider upping the speed on your splitter design a bit.

have not operated a supersplitter and don't plan to.
reason... it looks inherently dangerous!

always wondered.. how many folks got hurt really bad on supersplitter?

been around large moving equipment enough to know the consequences. after high school, worked at a plating shop as a polisher. talk about dangerous... one of the other polishers was missing a finger. really had to pay attention all the time, or you'd risk getting your hands yanked into machinery.

""it looks inherently dangerous! ""

Duh!!! And a chainsaw, with it's bar & chain fully exposed to bite your face off doesn't look inherently dangerous!

That's rich...:givebeer:

yup.. but there's one major difference!!!
when operating a chainsaw, my hands are not touching the business end. I'm always wearing safety gear and know where my bar tip is.

when operating a supersplitter, there's no way to avoid touching the wood. ram is always cycling at a dangerous speed. anytime a human does repetitive tasks. there's error involved. for instance... my splitter has the opposite problem of having too long a cycle time of 16sec. I have a rule of NEVER placing my finger on top log to be split, only on the sides. yet inspite of purposely avoiding fingers on top. I'll catch myself still placing my fingers on top. my ram comes down pretty slow, so this gives an extra margin of safety. vs if cycle time was 1.5 seconds.... my fingers would be crushed!!!

when I say "inherently dangerous" ... so long as cycle times remains that fast. there's very little room for error.

just my opinion... your mileage may veri... that's why I asked about how many folks have gotten hurt operating a super splitter.

just like loads of folks have gotten hurt operating a chainsaw. that's why I wear safety gear... Labonville comp chaps, chainsaw hardhat w/ears, steel toe boots, stihl protective shirt and kevlar gloves.

""it looks inherently dangerous! ""

Duh!!! And a chainsaw, with it's bar & chain fully exposed to bite your face off doesn't look inherently dangerous!

That's rich...:givebeer:

Last edited:
Anything can dangerous. I'm sure people have been hurt with the supersplitter. But until you use one you really can't say how dangerous they are. The cycle time is 2 seconds. That's fast but it's more time then you think. My 60 year old dad is fine using it and has no problems keeping up with the speed. I think if you used one you would change your opinion.

Scott

Thanks Again Ian

kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUUPKEk6ds4

Back