How to control Insect, Mold, Rot, on wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiscmart

Reaction score
I'm new to posting, but thought some might use this. I have been useing these mixtures for some time with great results. I mill a lot of dead and used lumber.They offer great protection at a low cost. I buy the boric acid as roach poison at the local home store for about $2.50 a pound. Do a Google search for Chemotherapy for wood rot and you will find more info. I usualy spray it on with a hand sprayer or paint it on old beams. It is a great insect and mold control. It also dosn't affect the color or finishing of the wood.
www.acbs-bslol.com/Gadgets/D97WoodRot.htm

20% Borax(laundry detergent), 15% Boric Acid, 65% Water. Boil until boric acid dissolved. Should use soon or boric acid will re crystalize. I boil outdoors on old BBQ grill, due to smell. Add 50% glyco antifreeze in place of water if mold or rot are a problem. Comparable to Tim-Bor, Ship-Bor or Bora-Care only at a small fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the info wiscmart. I rarely mill wood that has any rot. Even spalted stuff gets the boot if it starts to get punky, even though some try and harden the soft spots.

I use the Borax mix to control insects. Just had a stack of oak that had been drying for 3 years, hit with powder post beatles. The borax mix took care of it.
Carpender ants are a big problem around here, and it helps control them.

I use the Borax mix to control insects. Just had a stack of oak that had been drying for 3 years, hit with powder post beatles. The borax mix took care of it.
Carpender ants are a big problem around here, and it helps control them.

I had some carpenter ants hit some of my slabs. Orthene took care of them quick.

Good info BTW. Thanks!:cheers:

Last edited:
Back