Home Brew borate anti bug formula.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought I would share this here, as I used it a few years back and found it effective.
Ingredients: 4 lbs of 20 mule team borax (or any powdered borax I guess)
3 1/2 lbs boric acid
1 gal. propylene glycol (nontoxic antifreeze)
note: ethelyne glycol may be used but is toxic.

Heat propylene glycol and add borax, stir well.
Add boric acid and stir till mixture is dissolved.
heat mixture to 260 degrees F stirring constantly to prevent crystallization.

This produces 1 gal of preservative concentrate, when ready to use mix very well with 1 gal of water and apply liberally with a garden sprayer. However, I found I did not use it all and about a year later went to use it for another place and found some of the powders had re-crystalized. Just divide by two to make a half size. Propylene glycol is available in gallons at Tractor Supply in the horse area.

You might want to consider doing this with good ventilation as it does get a bit smelly, though probably is not toxic. But the better half might not like it. Also having your own enameled or other etch resistant container for mixing might also be wise.

Now, if anyone knows how to test for the difference between Borax and Boric Acid, I know someone that would like to know. Seem he bought in bulk years ago and the two containers lost their ID Tags. Both look like Borax to me . . . err. . . HIM.

Latest posts

Back