Pioneer Oil Mixture Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tonight I had a chance to get my old Pioneer chainsaw going and that I did. I have a bit more work to do, but I now have a question regarding the oil mixture. When I bought it last weekend, I noticed on the saw, one of the previous owners wrote 16:1 mixture. As I am unsure of exact model, as the recoil has a P26 decal, chain cover has a 1074 decal, and air filter cover has P25 decal, they all use the same 16:1 mixture as I found specs of all 3 online. After running it today on my dads sawhorse, there was a LOT of excess fuel/oil mix left on the sawhorse where the exhaust exits. The saw does smoke a fair bit as well when running, and I am thinking due to the rich mixture. I just mixed fresh fuel and used Poulan synthetic oil at 16:1 as specified. If this is the case, is it safe to run a mixture a bit leaner, and if so, what would be a good mix? This is by no means a good saw of mine, but rather just something I might use once or twice a year for a few cuts. Thank you.

The 16:1 mixture was for when they used plain old 30wt motor oil for premix. With poulan synthetic oil or any other similar mixing oil you can run anything between 30 and 50-1 without issue.
Everyone has their favorite ratio but they all get the job done. I tend to run in the 32-40:1 range in my stuff, 50:1 would probley be fine but I like to run a little extra oil just in case.

Thank you. I have a few things at 40:1, so I will then try than next time I need to add fuel.

My 2c worth. I was there in 1987 when Pioneer became Pioneer/Partner. I don't remember anything other than 4% (25:1) being the recommended default ratio. You could run it at 4% and if it's still too smoky & oily, go to 3% (33:1)

Thank you for your comments and confidence. I do now honestly feel better about running 40:1 as it is a mix I have on hand, and I will not require to keep another can of fuel handy, or for as much as I will use it, run to the station to get new fuel every time I would probably run it.

Back