how to fell a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realitycheck

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Alright guys its another newbie question for all you professionals. I am trying to learn the proper way to fell a tree, and try my best to not get hurt. I want to learn the right way to start off. I'm willing to learn from you guys or read books, so what's a good way to learn?
Other than finding a logger and asking him cause I don't know any or where to find them here in Alabama.

Start with finding a logger or known good tree cutter...and let them give you up close and personal training...and some hands on step by step as well. Thats the best way...and me personally if i where you i would go find a logger thats known for good work....and go from there. If everyone on here starts explaining their techniques it usually turns into a battle....well sometimes..lol

Alright guys its another newbie question for all you professionals. I am trying to learn the proper way to fell a tree, and try my best to not get hurt. I want to learn the right way to start off. I'm willing to learn from you guys or read books, so what's a good way to learn?
Other than finding a logger and asking him cause I don't know any or where to find them here in Alabama.
You know, RC, there's a lot of experience floating around here on this site. I think you'll find that most of us don't want to go out on a limb to give you instruction on how to fall a tree without being right there with you. This business is one of the most dangerous businesses to be in. Men get killed and seriously hurt all the time. If you look at the most dangerous jobs this is right at the top.
For anyone to give you instructions over the net is irresponsible, especially to someone new to the craft. There are instances where guys get specific info for specific trees but generally speaking it's limited.
I believe I speak for all the experienced fallers here that if you could feel their heart in response to your request, they'd jump at the chance to help you. However, every tree is different and how you handle it is critical. Get on the falling thread that has the most pages. On there you'll see where there's some experienced men doing what they know best. You can see that getting instruction on the net for the trees they cut wouldn't work. My strong advice to you is find a faller where you're located and see if you can go out with him and just watch. Most of the experienced fallers on this site have dealt with serious injuries or death in the woods. None of them would wish for you to be among them.
One thing I would say, you're wise to seek counsel regarding this business. I have way too many stories in my bag of woes where men thought they knew what they were doing and wound up either dead or hurting or killing someone else.
I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try and look into the book, and see who I can gain experience from. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

You know, RC, there's a lot of experience floating around here on this site. I think you'll find that most of us don't want to go out on a limb to give you instruction on how to fall a tree without being right there with you. This business is one of the most dangerous businesses to be in. Men get killed and seriously hurt all the time. If you look at the most dangerous jobs this is right at the top.
For anyone to give you instructions over the net is irresponsible, especially to someone new to the craft. There are instances where guys get specific info for specific trees but generally speaking it's limited.
I believe I speak for all the experienced fallers here that if you could feel their heart in response to your request, they'd jump at the chance to help you. However, every tree is different and how you handle it is critical. Get on the falling thread that has the most pages. On there you'll see where there's some experienced men doing what they know best. You can see that getting instruction on the net for the trees they cut wouldn't work. My strong advice to you is find a faller where you're located and see if you can go out with him and just watch. Most of the experienced fallers on this site have dealt with serious injuries or death in the woods. None of them would wish for you to be among them.
One thing I would say, you're wise to seek counsel regarding this business. I have way too many stories in my bag of woes where men thought they knew what they were doing and wound up either dead or hurting or killing someone else.
I wish you all the best.

Good advice as far as it goes. I think AS can help add to your technique a little but the basics need to be taught up close and personal. Try contacting your local fire training group and ask if you can take S-212 (wildland chainsaws) when it becomes available. As much as it grates on me, yes you could try Game of Logging. Maybe you'll get a free hat.

BTW this thread really would work better in the homeowner forum.

The printed word can only go "so far" when it comes to felling trees.

Learning how to safely fell trees from books would be just as hard as trying to learn how to "tie your shoes" from a book.

If you want to try to write an essay on tying your shoes,,,,,,,,well don't try it! Believe me.

Bob

Back