How to ID New England Trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4-8-4 Northern

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a website which will help me identify trees growing in New England. Any suggestions?

Go Google!!

Took me 30 seconds to find this while eating dinner > http://www.colby.edu/info.tech/BI211/Bio211.html
Just about any university site on the East Coast (hey, maybe even one in New England eh!) will have what you need I'm sure. You know enough about a computer to post here so spend some time in the search engines, pretty basic stuff I'd be embarassed.
:rolleyes:

Newfie said:
A book would be even better, since you can take it with you and compare it to the tree where it stands.

That makes sense Newfie. I looked for quite a while but couldn't find what I wanted on any websites. I'll head down to the local Borders tomorrow and look for a tree spotters guide. Can't take my desktop out in the woods! Thanks much.

Sprig said:
Took me 30 seconds to find this while eating dinner > http://www.colby.edu/info.tech/BI211/Bio211.html
Just about any university site on the East Coast (hey, maybe even one in New England eh!) will have what you need I'm sure. You know enough about a computer to post here so spend some time in the search engines, pretty basic stuff I'd be embarassed.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the friendly advice Sprig. I felt a little apprehensive about my first post here, but you just made me feel right at home. Now, being a nice fellow, I feel obliged to return the favor and give some advice to you.

Rudeness is a little person's imitation of power.

4-8-4 Northern said:
Thanks for the friendly advice Sprig. I felt a little apprehensive about my first post here, but you just made me feel right at home. Now, being a nice fellow, I feel obliged to return the favor and give some advice to you.

Rudeness is a little person's imitation of power.

Point taken, my apologies and it was rather rude in retrospect, no offence man, sorry. *eats a crow, hangs head*

Hello;
Been following ths board for a while and finally decided I might have enough knowledge on this topic to make a post.
Try:http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/
This site at the University of Connecticut has the information you would need to identify native and non-native tree species. Hope this helps.

In my opinion the Audubon book has great glossy pics, but thats it. Peterson's Feild guid to Eastern trees is a good staple. You want to be able to key out what your looking for. It's authors are George Petrides/Jane wehr.
Also Uconn's page and any extension page are very good. Funny thing is Uconn has no Arboriculture or Forestry programs, go figure. Good Hort program though.

If you go to Borders look in their bargain books area first just picked up " The New Encyclopedia of American Trees", was under $10.00 has 575 native trees of the U.S., Canada, Central & S. America. It's illustrated with more than 1750 photographs, water colors and distribution maps. Very nice book for the money. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees (Eastern Region) is also a good one. Also check out the "Bailey's" & "Sherrill" catalogs.

CraneOp1 said:
If you go to Borders look in their bargain books area first just picked up " The New Encyclopedia of American Trees", was under $10.00 has 575 native trees of the U.S., Canada, Central & S. America. It's illustrated with more than 1750 photographs, water colors and distribution maps. Very nice book for the money. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees (Eastern Region) is also a good one. Also check out the "Bailey's" & "Sherrill" catalogs.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I liked the Peterson's Guide, and I'll probably get that soon, but for now I got "The New Encyclopedia of American Trees." Couldn't pass up that $5.99 price tag! Thanks again guys.

Back