how to kill vines and unwanted scotchbroom?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otisman

Reaction score
i have just planted over 800 tree starts and covered them with cages to protect against deer!! I cleared the land as best i could with tractor and brush hog but live on ahill that previous owners logged and left stumps but never replanted. Alot of vines and scotch broom was laid down but not removed, due to weather and the fact that the ground is so soft that i kept getting tractor stuck in the mud! (boy did those stumps come in handy getting the tractor unstuck with rigging lol) The question " how to kill the sticker bushes ie blackberrie vines and scotcgbroom without killing trees with a herbicide?" specifically what herbicide will kill broadleaf vines and not kill fir tree starts?????

Otisman

I'm going to move this to the Forestry and Logging Forum. Some of our Foresters are in your general area and they were having a pretty good discussion on Scotch Broom yesterday.

You'll probably get more site-specific answers from them...they deal with that stuff all the time.

We nainly use Terbuthylazine and/or Hexazinone in our post-plant releasing sprays, with other chemicals added where necessary. Bear in mind this is for Radiata Pine, so even those these chemicals target broadleaf weeds it would pay to check out their suitability for use over Firs.

If the Broom is particularly thick it may need an application of something with some Clopyralid as the active in it.

Latest posts

Back