How to level dirt mound with maple roots below

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecomp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a Norway Maple removed some time ago, but there is a 10ft. diameter dirt mound with many tough roots underneath.

Is there an easy way to remove them or would a bobcat be the choice? If I pay a professional, what is a ball-park cost?

There is an above ground pool nearby and the roots continue to grow, which is causing liner problems every three years or so.

Any thoughts? :dizzy:

Yep, I think a bobcat would be the way to go, maybe an hour or so ( like less)to scrape it down and then go through the pile and pull whatever roots you see out and burn them. Cats up here run about 50-75$ an hour, but it sure beats doing it by hand! To kill the last of the maple I'd prolly go with a dose or two of round-up around the perimeter (of the disturbance where the small roots are), but I could be off base here as personally I don't like pesticides/weed killers. But I think if you get the ground fluffed up (right to the sub-strat, mineral soil or where the roots end) and spend a short time picking the thicker stuff out you will be happy. Maples tend to be invasive given the right conditions and if you can get the smaller roots into the light it should do the trick. I am not a pro by any means so stand to be corrected and take my lumps, but I have fought maples and won, just a bit of work and perseverance. Just my 0.02$ worth.
:D

Mound

It all depends on which you decide to go. Your choices would be a bobcat, a stump grinder, or an excavator. It sounds to me as though you have already decided that professional help is the way to go and there are a lot of good reasons for that. Paying someone to take care of this gets it done with out using up your free time. No matter how you figure it an experienced operator will get done faster and better then if you decide to do it yourself. Secondly, why use your free time to do something you don't really want to do. How much is your time worth? I suppose if you have plenty of free time it might make sense, but if your like most people it would be better to get it done and forget about it. Depending on where you are in Boston, and which machine makes the most sense for trhe site, I would think that you could get it done for less than $1000.00 max. But that all depends if it stops raining any time soon. Let me know if you have any ?'s.

thecomp said:
I had a Norway Maple removed some time ago...

...There is an above ground pool nearby and the roots continue to grow, which is causing liner problems every three years or so.

Any thoughts? :dizzy:

How are the roots still growing, if the tree was removed? Once you kill the top of the tree, the bottom (roots), die soon afterwards.

Back