How to make your chainsaw last longer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i have 2 chainsaws and one of them is like 6 years old,i got it from my grandpa because he just got a new one and i want to make it run as long as i can so......some tips or tricks to make a chainsaw last as long as possible.Like anything,anything from cleaning the airfilter to even reaplacing some parts.Please tell as much things as you know.I dont wanna wreck any of my chainsaws.

As above. Don't be wrestling it with a half dull or less chain. Keep the drive sprocket and bar well maintained. Replace the sprocket about every 2 new chains more or less according to the groove in the sprocket. If the chain doesn't mate well u loose power from resistance, stretch the chain, and have more vibration which can cause screws to loosen, add wear on av dampners and to your discomfort.
Keep the air filter clean and in good condition so dirt stays out of the engine. Always fresh gas, non ethonal is the best 89+ octane. Ethonal gas spoils and is hard on fuel lines and carb if left in your chainsaw much over a month. I prefer 28 to 1 ratio in my high hour equipment 40 or 50 to1 with premium oil in newish low hour 2 cycle engines. More oil helps when compression is low end and doesn't seem to hurt anything if you keep your air filter clean, carb adjustment where it should be and all is tuned properly.

1 ) Tune it a bit rich .
2 ) Use a decent oil at a decent ratio.
3 ) Use fresh gasoline .Preferably 87-91 octane ,non Ethanol.
4) Give it time to warm up and cool down by letting it idle for a minute or so .
5) Keep the chain as sharp as possible.
6 ) Wide open Throttle ,when cutting.
7 ) Keep the air and fuel filters clean .
8 ) Clean the saw on a regular basis.
9 ) Perform an annual general "check -up" and replace any worn parts.
10 ) Always give a goodnight kiss
at the top cover and whisper a sensual "I love you" near the muffler ( the latter has to be already modded ,else the chainsaw is practically deaf ).
Some old timers insist that licking
the choke lever ( in a kinky way of course ) does wonders.
đź‘€

Back