How to prune a tree with a cactus growing underneath it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GayleG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a large willow acacia that needs pruning, but one of the areas I want to cut has the neighbors cactus growing under it. Is there anyone that can advise me how this can be accomplished, or where I can learn about my options?

Get rid of the cactus first?
No, that's not an option, because it's my neighbors cactus. My tree is the one hanging on his property. May I add here, that this tree is referred to as low litter, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Anyways, been researching and came across rigging the tree limb and going to try to learn more about that. Thank you for your input though.

No, that's not an option, because it's my neighbors cactus. My tree is the one hanging on his property. May I add here, that this tree is referred to as low litter, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Anyways, been researching and came across rigging the tree limb and going to try to learn more about that. Thank you for your input though.

Good arborist are very skilled at working over things that need preserving under the trees that they work on.

A nightmare crown cleaning job I did for a very good client included a large oak over a small glass greenhouse used for growing orchids. It multiplied the difficulty of the job ten fold and more.

I have a large willow acacia that needs pruning, but one of the areas I want to cut has the neighbors cactus growing under it. Is there anyone that can advise me how this can be accomplished, or where I can learn about my options?
Definitely talk to your neighbor and let them know that their cactus is an obstacle for your tree pruning. I’d start talking to them first as far as a friendly negotiation so you can continue with your pruning project. Worse case scenario, you might have to remove what cactus has encroached on you from your neighbor’s property.

Definitely talk to your neighbor and let them know that their cactus is an obstacle for your tree pruning. I’d start talking to them first as far as a friendly negotiation so you can continue with your pruning project. Worse case scenario, you might have to remove what cactus has encroached on you from your neighbor’s property.
16861797005332353881360818900554.jpg

Oh, that's no big deal, any decent climber can trim that without hurting the cactus.
Thank you. I'm trying to make this a diy project. If i can. Well with help from my son or son in law. We did cut the worst of it this past weekend. Ive had landscapers cutting it a year or more ago but they didn't know what they were doing and don't want to repeat that mistake.

By the time you purchase 500 to a thousand dollars of climbing and rigging gear, and spend the night at a Holiday Express, I'm not sure you're going to really save any money over hiring a professional arborist, to be honest.
You are telling the truth here I'm sure. Don't get the holiday express part though. If it needed to take height off I would definetly have to hire an arborist. Right now I am trying to prepare for the monsoon season. Had read these trees arent real strong. I did get one picture on here but its in a reply, not on my original post. I have much respect fot the knowledge arborists have and know I'm not trained, but I am learning all I can about this tree and all my many bushes and other trees etc. I hope Im not offending anyone by wanting to do this myself.

That tree looks great, btw.

Doesn't need any pruning.
Thank you. My son and I did take off the most worrisome branches, this past weekend. Ones that I was afraid may fall on his roof in a monsoon storm. Or a haboob storm. We get those too. But I love the shade from trees and have been trying to take care of it. It's alot to clean up after as twice a week i have to sweep all the leaves and seed pods up, and use a blower etc. But dont want to give up on it. Think I was watering it wrong. Had it on my drip irrigation and have shut those emitters off and just deep water under the whole canapy area once a month as recommended. It looks better now, greener. Thank you for your reply and listening to me here.

Am I allowed to ask for opinions and advice here about my trees? I've found this site to be helpful and want to ask about another tree I have. Its a ficus . IMG_20230609_082536671_HDR.jpg

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...-take-to-do-it.368140/#post-8023412 [/QUOTE]
Cheers....

what-would-it-take-to-do-it.368140/#post-8023412[/URL]

Cheers....
You are telling the truth here I'm sure. Don't get the holiday express part though. If it needed to take height off I would definetly have to hire an arborist. Right now I am trying to prepare for the monsoon season. Had read these trees arent real strong. I did get one picture on here but its in a reply, not on my original post. I have much respect fot the knowledge arborists have and know I'm not trained, but I am learning all I can about this tree and all my many bushes and other trees etc. I hope Im not offending anyone by wanting to do this myself
Am I allowed to ask for opinions and advice here about my trees? I've found this site to be helpful and want to ask about another tree I have. Its a ficus . View attachment 1089169
That’s a good lookin tree!

Back