How to remove muffler from a 395XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimaze

Wallet Logger
Reaction score
How do you get the muffler off of a Husqvarna 395XP? I am finally getting around to dusting off my 550XP and 395XP and getting back into chainsaws. I have never started neither saw ...I have not even put gas in them yet. I want to do as much preventive procedures as I can think of so when the day comes that I have to take the saw apart, I can minimize bolts breaking off in critical places like the muffler. Any other ideas from more experienced chainsaw mechanics on things to do to a new saw to prevent problems down the road?

I want to put some anti-sieze on the muffler bolts so if I need to take them out at a later date, they won't break off in the head. On the 395XP, I tried getting the muffler off, but I can't get it to come all the way off. I removed the top cover, the plate and the four bolts holding it on, and the two nuts on the muffler. But the muffler is getting caught on something. How do you get the muffler off? Do the long studs come out of the head? They turned a little and they seem loose. Can I remove them and put anti-sieze on them?

Please don't be afraid to insult my intelligence because when it comes to working on saws, I have no experience. But I work on everything else.

Thanks, Shimaze

20180603_233512_zps1jiuey9r.jpg

20180603_233531_zpsaxhufuxi.jpg

your serious? I wouldn't worry about the muffler bolts breaking off down the road. I would worry more of them loosening up down the road especially with an anti seize. Plus Im sure it would bake off due to the extreme heat. Guys put thread locker on there bolts to prevent them coming out before any thing else. I have never had a problem removing a muffler on any machine I have worked on, and I have worked on some uglys for sure.

Put a couple of slots at right angles to the threads,in each bolt a dremel cutting disc is ideal squeeze in some thread locker I find the Blue stuff for brake caliper bolt locking works good & stands the heat You will have a bigger problem with the bolts comming loose than breaking off back the mix screws in the carb out an 1/8 to 1/4 for the first start as they tend lean settings from the factory & donning flack jacket & tin hat would suggest a 32 or 40/1 fuel mix for the first couple of tankfuls :blob2::blob2:

Back