How To Remove Tree Suspended at Both Ends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXFam

Reaction score
We had a very heavy snow that split this tree. Half fell onto a basketball hoop snd is now suspended between the tree base and hoop. We’ve removed many branches and are contemplating how to get the tree down safely.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 19E4035E-8F4D-4D41-BB97-F95C18DC74B6.jpeg
    19E4035E-8F4D-4D41-BB97-F95C18DC74B6.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 10
That is not a homeowner job. Period. No amount of internet advice or youtube videos will give you the knowledge and experience to do that job safely, and by the time you buy the thousands of dollars worth of equipment it will take to do it safely, you haven't saved a dime.

Agreed with both of the above.

BUT…if you have no insurance and have already ‘written off’ the integrity of the bb court, and cleared any branches that are poking through the balcony spindles, attach a winch cable where the yellow arrow is, secure winch at base of red arrow tree and winch it slowly and gently. This assumes you have a tirfor or equivalent winch. If you don’t, there is no safe wayE3095B5E-063B-4003-9618-F57E0D55F7EC.jpeg

No way, imo it is a very rare case where a picture is enough. However, I also try to offer constructive advice…in this case I have essentially advised working from as great a distance away as possible. Covering all of the variables in an initial response is something I do not have the patience for, unless the op comes back and says ‘yes I have a winch with 100m of cable, what next?’
I like you too 😁

full size excavator with a thumb and bucket to grab and hold and support it, then get to cutting the top off, once the top is off cut the trunk just above the break so the excavator can carry the trunk away. A larger tractor with grapple could work as well but from a single picture it is difficult to tell size and work area.

I think think the basketball hoop is throwing off the scale. I have some ideas, but I'm not a pro, and I have some reservations about the veracity of the situation .

I think think the basketball hoop is throwing off the scale. I have some ideas, but I'm not a pro, and I have some reservations about the veracity of the situation .
So you think the picture is faked?
Faked, no. Optical trickery by way of a wide angle lens, yes. The basketball hoop is not at any sort of regulation height, maybe 5 feet off the ground in the picture. The tree is probably 6-7 feet off the ground judging by the door and the chain link fence.

So you think the picture is faked?
I don't think that is what he is saying... it's more about the basketball hoop being a lot lower to the ground than we'd commonly assume one to be. Look at it compared to the man door under the deck. From that perspective it looks like you can pretty much reach that tree from the ground. If so, it may be possible to piece it out with perhaps some dimension lumber A-frame supports near the fence and basketball hoop to help control the pieces. Obviously one photo doesn't tell the whole story but this may be a starting point!

I don't think that is what he is saying... it's more about the basketball hoop being a lot lower to the ground than we'd commonly assume one to be. Look at it compared to the man door under the deck. From that perspective it looks like you can pretty much reach that tree from the ground. If so, it may be possible to piece it out with perhaps some dimension lumber A-frame supports near the fence and basketball hoop to help control the pieces. Obviously one photo doesn't tell the whole story but this may be a starting point!
Exactly what I meant, thanks.

So to answer the homeowners original question, as we all spitball this, we are all in agreement this is a pro job all the way, and no one is willing to put in a firm bid based on that one pic?
I'll put a firm bid on anything with one pic. The bid might just be insanely high. I'll drive to Portland and put that branch on the ground for $20K. 😉

I'm no tree pro, but I'm pretty sure I've cleaned up a bigger snag mess than that, granted it wasn't leaning on a house. Wish I had pics. My point was it is a lot smaller than it looks.

And to the o.p. don't test me. I may be easy, but I'm not cheap... no wait, I am....

Latest posts

Back