How to repair/heal this tree trunk damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beetleb

Reaction score
My stepson thought it would be cool to take a few swings at a tree in the backyard of our new house. He did it about about a year ago. Initially it just left a few slices in the trunk. I thought it might heal on its own. However it seems like it has gotten a little worse. Does this look like it will eventually heal. If not, what should I do with it? The tree seems otherwise healthy.
1697412328978.png

View attachment 1697411918725.jpeg

In the distant future, that wound will form a callous, which will eventually close entirely, providing you are lucky and decay doesn't keep the hole open. In the next year or two, you should be able to peel a bit of the bark back from the newly forming callous.

Until then, there isn't really much you can do but watch. Some might recommend various insecticide and fungicidal treatments, but they are not likely to change the outcome.

The long term outcome here is likely to be a tree that slowly develops a hollow trunk, and it's eventual failure. With a bit of luck, you should expect at least another 20 year out of that tree. Perhaps another 100, but that isn't predictable.

My stepson thought it would be cool to take a few swings at a tree in the backyard of our new house. He did it about about a year ago. Initially it just left a few slices in the trunk. I thought it might heal on its own. However it seems like it has gotten a little worse. Does this look like it will eventually heal. If not, what should I do with it? The tree seems otherwise healthy.
View attachment 1119925

View attachment 1119924
flesh wound.gif

Back