how to replant in diseased area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msparks

Reaction score
I have a question I was wondering if you could help me with.

I just lost an old weeping willow tree. It was destroyed by bugs, termites, worms, etc. I don't know exactly their names, but I tried to treat it for years and it just kept getting worse and worse. Finally it was just a hollow shell, so I took it down.

My question is: I want to replant a tree in the same spot where the willow had been, but I am certain the ground still has thousands of larvae and bugs in it. How long should I wait to replant a new tree and how can I make sure that the new tree does not get infested. Are there chemicals I can put into the whole to kill all the bugs.
I live in California and my soil is river loam. It is like a feeding ground for bugs. I could not believe how many different type of bugs were in the willow tree once it came down and I could look inside it. I don't want that to happen to my new tree.
Any suggestions.

Most bugs are highly beneficial to tree health. Willows die for many reasons. Plant a hardier species--taxodium?

98+% of all insects are beneficial (as stated above). In essence "bugs' may live in the tree, but were not the ones who created the cavity/space. Most insects are not responsble for decayed areas, simply oppurtunistic. With willows decay is normal (almost) as they have very weak wood. I agree w/"Treeseer" that an alternate specie would be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back