How to take down this diseased and cracked beech?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anynameyouwish

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a diseased beech, which cracked the last time there was a big storm. It's dead, or if not, will be soon. It seems to be snagged on a nearby maple (at least I think so, can't be sure with all the foliage..).

I tried to pull it down using my maasdam rope puller and it did not budge at all, which leads me to think that the part of the tree that isn't cracked still has quite a bit of holding wood (if it didn't, and if it were merely snagged, I should have been able to at least move it a bit, i would think). You can still see the rope I used to try to pull it down in one of the pictures.

So my next plan is to go the way of the chainsaw: notch in the obvious direction, maybe a third of the way in, then simple backcut from the back. The question is, how likely is it to barberchair if I do this? (If that's likely I should probably do a plunge cut to make sure that doesn't happen.)

This is all I can think of - if anyone has any suggestions bring them on!

Attachments

• IMG-1822.jpg
    IMG-1822.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1821.jpg
    IMG-1821.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-1823.jpg
    IMG-1823.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-1824.jpg
    IMG-1824.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
I don't see how it could possibly barberchair at your back cut if it is below the break. There is no tension left on that side in that area.

It may be dangerous to make that face cut, though, because it looks like it might be pretty hollow, and there is definitely tension in the non-broken part of the tree. I can't really tell how bad it is from your photos. There is a possibility it could collapse on you while you are cutting the face.

If it were my tree I might consider cutting out some of the broken wood on the back to see what is left inside before making further plans.

I don't see how it could possibly barberchair at your back cut if it is below the break. There is no tension left on that side in that area.

It may be dangerous to make that face cut, though, because it looks like it might be pretty hollow, and there is definitely tension in the non-broken part of the tree. I can't really tell how bad it is from your photos. There is a possibility it could collapse on you while you are cutting the face.

If it were my tree I might consider cutting out some of the broken wood on the back to see what is left inside before making further plans.
That makes a lot of sense - there seems to be no tension left under the break. Your other points are well taken too. I'll excavate the break gently to see just how bad it is underneath and then potentially proceed with the cuts. I'll be careful with the face cut too. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back