How to tell black ash from white ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moddoo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have someone locally who is offering 4 large ash trees free to me if I take them down.
He will handle the brush and stumps.

I am trying to figure out how to tell what type of tree they are.

Can anyone help?

Is the White ash really a much better firewood?

Thanks

Last edited:
According to all the firewood BTU charts I have seen, White Ash has the highest of the Ash trees. But I wouldn't turn down any other ash, It all burns good.

Thanks for the replies.

I have agreed to do it.

Here is a small pic of the trees. (on the right of photo)

largest is just over 24" DBH the others are approx 18" DBH

Any guesses on how much wood is there?

Ash: from the Forestry and .edu ratings white ash is the better Btu. Black and Green ashes lower in heating/pound. I can't see the difference in our ashes --the bark and leaves--, but Brown (used by Native Americans here for baskets) and Green grow with "wet feet" or roots in low lying areas. They all split easy and burn well off-the-stump green. They do not hold water or weigh as much as wetter species like Oaks or Maples.

And please, it is burn time: step away from foddling and snorting the woodpile :buttkick: :popcorn:

Black Ash has a reddish color to the wood. Go purchase The National Audubon Societys Field guide to Trees. Great info with excellent bark and leaf pictures for identification.

Easiest way to tell is by the leaves, twigs, and bud structure. Post some closeup pics of the above mentioned.

Looks like maybe 4-5 cords or so, depending on how small of stuff you keep and split.

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/s...&advanced=1&msAdultWarn=1&msShowTOU=0

Here is an IMG search of Fraxinus bud, some good pix that show the difference. One of the biggest is how the bud sets into the leafscar.

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/s...-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/417/top/-/1/0

This one is F. bark, mature bark is harder to distinguish, though between white and green the white's limbs mature slower then green.

We have few black in the area, and I think they cross with green readily.

Hey Guys,
I spent a couple hours yesterday cutting. 2 trees done, and 3 to go.
There are 5 trees, not 4 like he told me.

I brought home 1 truckload. I was planning on getting some more cut and transported today. But it's storming here most of the day.

Here are some pics of the wood. Including one pic of the stump, cut right to the dirt. IDK if that helps identify the tree at all.

The pile is about 12' x 4' x 16"

PS everything is wet.

Last edited:
I got lucky and had one twig/leaf specimen.
Although, it got beat up in shipping.

here are a few pics.

I hope this helps to identify the trees.

The weight of the wood seems comparable to the burr oak I cut a few weeks ago.
Cutting speed too.

EDIT: sorry the pics are huge.

Last edited:
That species,what ever it is,differs from the white ash in these parts.Ours often have very tight growth rings,a 24" tree will be well over a hundred years old.In addition our native trees are nearly all pure light colored completely through.They don't show nearly that much moisture even freshly cut.

When you think white ash,remember baseball bats,at least 12 growth rings per inch on a good one.

Thanks Al
these pics were taken in the rain.
That is what I meant when I said that everything is wet.

Last edited:
That's Green Ash. Bark looks like it and the 7 leaves are a dead give away. White ash usually have very deep diamond shaped groves in the bark and 5 leaves. Black ash as many as 9 leaves.

Looks like green ash to me. It tends to be a bit wetter than white ash here. Splits easy, especially when green. White ash has a bit tighter bark pattern and a lighter heartwood.

Like this on the right.
attachment.php

My vote is green also. It seems that green Ash is the only on with white dots on the twigs. The others are "dotless"

Thanks everyone.

So green ash is "wetter" than other types?

Not ready to burn while it's still green?

Will it season fairly quickly, being a member of the ash family?

I hope to use it next winter. And like to leave pieces fairly large.

Thanks everyone.

So green ash is "wetter" than other types?

Not ready to burn while it's still green?

Will it season fairly quickly, being a member of the ash family?

I hope to use it next winter. And like to leave pieces fairly large.

What I've got here has been cut for 6 mos. and appears ready to burn now. It is without a doubt a drier species than oak or maple.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it next winter.

Back