how to tell if a used saw has been taken care of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a used Stihl 250. I read a comment that you remove the muffler and check for markings on the piston. What type of markings? I did this and didn't see any metal damage. It does have some discoloration. Some light brown marks. Is this significant? What does discoloration on the piston mean?

jas asked A question

I would like to read the different things to look for in buying a used saw same as jas
Every member knows the answer to jas question BUT ME.

How will we every learn if no one does not share the information. Come GUYS:)

You are looking for scoring (gouges in the metal) and scuffing (an abraded looking area) on the piston skirt. A scuffed piston may run fine for a long time but a completely unmarred piston is comforting.:)

Thanks Stumper

I have taken the muffer off my 3120 and the piston looked black. Why? I did not feel of piston wall I tried to do like what i have read on eBay auction When seller would say they removed muffer and port and piston looked ok

Can you add more information to this port and piston inspection if you can Please do

Thanks Jack

Neither do you want the piston to be slick and shiney. That indicates wear. You want to see a cross-hatch pattern.

Stevie

Latest posts

Back