How'd I do? New to me 084 AVEQ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dropped by one of the pawnshops today and they had this one on the bottom shelf:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I walked away with it for $450. I don't really have the money for it right now but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. The thing's in mint condition externally and I have no reason to believe the internals aren't as well. It only had a couple tablespoons of gas in the tank but still started in 6 pulls, and idled and accelerated smoothly right away. I haven't put the comp tester on it yet, but if I pick it up by the starter rope with the piston at TDC, it takes a good 8 seconds or so before it drops a revolution.

You can see clamp marks from an Alaskan on the bar, so if it's been used mostly for milling that would explain the lack of wear to the powerhead. Why anyone would want to mill with an 084 with a 25" .404 chisel chain is beyond me since an 066 with 3/8" is much better suited to the size, but hey, who am I to criticize a bit of healthy overkill? That would be an amazing firewood setup though. I'm going to take it out on the quad here in a little while so if I find a good test subject I'll make a video. I'm also considering throwing the 33" .404 bar from the 090 on it for a spin; I could go up to the same log as in its video for a comparison maybe.

So I'm pretty happy right now. Once I get everything set up right on it, it'll see quite a bit of milling use. The 090 is nice for big wood too, but the lack of antivibe and the sheer volume are severe drawbacks; and for the size of wood I normally see this thing will likely outcut it anyway. I'm not set up for milling big 4'+ logs quite yet.

I could flip it and probably double my money with the right buyer given its condition. But, I think I'll likely sell one of the 066s and hope to break even, since I've been wanting an 084/088/3120 in a bad way for a while now, and finding one in this condition this cheap probably won't happen again anytime soon. So expect to see a '66 on the trading post in the near future once I get the second one rebuilt.

Anything I should know about these? What exactly differentiates them from an 088, and which if either are a better performer?

DSS

Cowshot
I was waiting for you to say you found it in a dumpster or something, LOL

Think you still did pretty good.:clap::clap::clap:

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
you did vewry good looks like a low hour saw. even if the cylinder is shot and it needs crank bearings you can most likly flip on ebay and make a few bucks

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cleaned 'er up a bit this afternoon. It actually wasn't all that bad really. At least the cylinder isn't all caked with baked-on oily sawdust. I pulled the front of the muffler off to get a peek at the piston:

attachment.php

Umm, yeah, no problems there! The horizontal mill marks are still very prominent except at the dead center of the exhaust port. The lines on the piston are just in the oil film, not the metal. The exhaust port itself was surprisingly clean too - just the few bits of carbon you can see, no big buildup layer or anything. A quick wipe with some purple and that was gone too.

I put the compression tester on it and it blew 150 after 6-7 pulls. Not spectacular but good for a big one like this, no? I have no idea what the squish etc. is like and for now I don't want to mess with it much, so I don't know what gains could be made.

Here's how it cleaned up under the clutch cover:

attachment.php

There was a bit of buildup under and around the clutch itself, but not what I'd consider out of line for a working saw. The clutch bearing was dry as a bone and quite hard to turn, but freed up like new with some WD40 and some grease. The oiler's working great, so no problems there.

I threw the 33" bar from the 090 on it:

attachment.php

THAT looks a bit better! It felt really poorly balanced with the 25" bar; not nearly nose-heavy enough for my tastes. The 33 feels pretty good; a 30 might be about perfect for comfort. I'll probably get the 25" that was on it switched over to 3/8" so I can use it for milling without the waste of .404, though I'd really like to find a 36" or 42" on the cheap eventually so I can maximize the capability of my 36" Alaskan.

I took it up in the bush to the 28" log I used for testing last year:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mXestaWqxI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7mXestaWqxI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's the same 33" bar, .404 skip chisel chain that I used in the 090 video too, also running on an 8-pin sprocket just like the 090. I filed it fresh and took the FOP to the rakers. I still haven't quite figured out how to use them properly to file the cutter and I'm not really convinced I need to yet. I haven't done a direct time comparison to the 090 yet but suffice it to say I'm really happy with how this saw cuts. I can lean pretty hard on it, but I think it really would benefit from a full-house chain in this softwood.

Last edited:

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
piston looks very good

i got rid of my 084 and have been regretting it whatever you do keep it. youl regret letn it go

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looks good and runs good. You made a pile of wood chips in a hurry.

Yep, it sure did. Not quite as impressive as yours cutting that behemoth Oak though! That thing is huge! I have some Firs near that size to tackle sometime, but no bar big enough to come close to doing it in one shot. Is yours really a new OEM Stihl bar? I didn't think Stihl made them that big anymore.

FWIW I played both the 084 and 090 videos side by side, and the 084 easily wins the first cut by a few seconds. Though I have a feeling if the rakers had been dropped to where they are now, the 090 would have been a lot closer.

And just for a fun comparison, I decided to give the 041G with 28" 3/8" skip chain a go:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dcjTVLU8xxU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dcjTVLU8xxU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

For some reason it's having a bit of a run-on problem after WOT right now; otherwise it runs and idles great. I think it cut really well considering it's exactly half the displacement. I don't know if you can tell in the video just how hard I'm pulling up on the saw, especially in the second cut. I FINALLY managed to bog it out at 1:25 but I had to work hard to do it. This thing is unbelievable for only 61cc. I have a feeling an 8-pin sprocket, or a switch to .404, would really help it out as it definitely still has torque to spare that could be put into extra chainspeed. It also sounds like I could still lean it out just a tiny bit more.

Last edited:
blsnelling
Yep, it sure did. Not quite as impressive as yours cutting that behemoth Oak though! That thing is huge! I have some Firs near that size to tackle sometime, but no bar big enough to come close to doing it in one shot. Is yours really a new OEM Stihl bar? I didn't think Stihl made them that big anymore.

FWIW I played both the 084 and 090 videos side by side, and the 084 easily wins the first cut by a few seconds. Though I have a feeling if the rakers had been dropped to where they are now, the 090 would have been a lot closer.

My 48"-50" bar is a Stihl ES bar. They do not make that bar anymore in a sprocket tip.

Latest posts