hundreds of bee stings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all Bee storys

as i read all your bees story , i look back the time i faced up with swarm honey bees, i never had gotten stung, if i did.. i wouldn't know it except yellow jacket.
my first present of swarm of honey bee had a hive in downed log and it was good size Douglas fir we tried to cut up firewoods, we didn't see hives until we started to cavity then swarm just came out, my step dad and i ran away wasn't sure what kind of stinger they are.. i was 13 yrs old when i was working in tree service along with my step dad. we found out it was honey bees, so he decided to get an water hose to sprayed down the bees and it works, so as he cutting up the wood i was sprayed swarm of bees down they become more aggression, but we were hurry to get the job done and all bee are wetted and they were down to ground walking around tried to dried themselves up. we started laughing and have not got stung this times
about 5 yrs ago i faced up first time bald face black hornet paper nest as i prune the tree by ground, i notice there is paper nest all black flyer goes in and out very aggressively, i told one of co worker, then phone the boss about situation.he came to job site with bee killer and walking no fear got up pole ladder and started spraying, for moment i though he crazy!!!, as he started to sprayed, black hornet zing out nest so fast alike bullet one after another , i started running, my boss felled of the ladder and stumble tried to run i say 50 to 100 of them fly around for 30 min still watching their nest,we took heavy duty plastic,we cut limbs end off so the bag can fit into it, we still have to waited until black hornet can not go back in, mostly flew away but few just hang around.So we decided go ahead to put the bag into the limb and ties it up shut then cut the limbs. walk away, the mission is completed
another incidents of honey bee few month after black hornet incidents. we cut down black cottonwood tree it also had hollow inside, one climber is allergic to bees, he told boss i ain't go in there with the swarm, my boss wouldn't go in there either so what is left... ME. Cottonwood very large size so i had to cut half to we can pull swarmed of bee hive away from resident home to the field away from busy traffic. the swarm is mass. first thing i did is pray to god to help me get through this with out get stung. i grab the saw started walking into swarm and cutted, it weird thing bees fly around me ,its harmless and few had laid me but no stung. i cutted 2 section 15 footer and run off from swarmed drop the saw to ground to shake off the bees, my boss couldn't believe i done this. i told him honey bee are harmless to me. i waited for a while for them to calm down before i go in with choker wire to hooked up one section then drag away.as i started to hooked them up bees started get upset, they started hitting me my face, after i hooked one up i ran for a one block and half to get swarm off me as i see my shallow from sun i see myself running and cloud swarm just above my head the bees. after bees gone i went back and other contractor put gasoline and ignited the fire inside of hive, which make them more aggressive, that didn't help my job. so for second time i grab choker run into swarm get choker hooked up and run for another block and two. i got stung few which i didn't noticed until end of the day i got few bumped skin other than that i'm okay.
another interesting about yellow jacket the hive just right under of dead tree base of trunk. by evening we drowned them with gasoline next morning hive is silent, we finished off take-down and base of stump had dry rot cavity. i was curious about the hive inside of cavity, i got shovel and breaked up dry rot and inside of stump is big hive my guess was 2 feet wide and 3 feet dept full thousands of yellow hornet different size all curd up dead.i saw queen, she have no wing but big body with a little head about 3 " long. i never seen how big and ugly the queen is compared worker hornet.
when season of hornets get aggression, don't bring any lunch meats. even if you did eat inside, they can smell the meat from your mouth and your clothes if you eat juicy burger dripping on urself. one time i had yellowjacket landed on my ham sandwich just before i made a first bite and i saw it i tossed my sandwich up in the air..my co worker had nice set-up for yellowjacket while he eat his deli chicken, he put alittle strip of meat for them , then when 3 or 4 come in eat the chicken meat he took his cap hat slap them dead and flicked dead hornet off the table, few more come in slap them dead. i like his tricks, i done it few times, it seem working but not for swarm hornet...lol
whatever i done with my stunts with bees, do not attempt at your home or job-site. it ain't worth to put yourself in danger. i know few ppl are allergic to bee sting had nearly died from it. i not allergic to bee sting that why i don't had no fear of swarm of bee except hornet i run as haul a$$...lol

Treeman67

Like Eagle1 my worst encounter, knock on wood, was as a kid playing army and rappelling down a rock face covered in ferns. I made my way back up that rock in record time:) My one buddy who didn't take off when i clambered back up the rock started whipping me with his belt while I rolled in the long grass. We got on our bikes and rode away never to return. Luckily, there were no adverse reactions to the stings. Just a funny story we remember when we have a few scotch.

wasps

Here in New Zealand we have an exotic (that's what they call 'non-local') intruder, the german wasp. In the South Island beech forests the biomass of the wasps can exceed that of all other animals, birds and insects put together. ( A "Department of Conservation" researcher told me that). Fortunately that is only in the bad bad years and bad spots -they can't survive a cold wet spring and they are less trouble high up- but I have personally seen them cover the lower half of a 60' tree to a density of one every inch (they feed on honeydew on so-called black beech, actually usually a hard beech which is infested with the mite that makes honeydew, which sits on a black residue) and, on a windy day, seen them blow downwind like a snow storm. But I personally adore the back-country (one can walk in a straight line down there for two weeks and see nobody) so I go mountain-walking there, with anti-histamines, antiseptic and stingeese near the top of my pack. Once, coming down a 50degree slope and following a waterfall, I let myself down onto a table sized boulder. When I landed I noticed a dead mouse with fresh blood leaking out of his mouth just by my foot. I only had time to to be surprised before I found out exactly what had happened to him. He had been stung to death by german wasps and they were still angry. I don't know what is the local record for the hundred yard dash over steep terrain with a fifty-pound rucsac (I was on a ten day solo trip) but I am a contender. I got thirteen stings on that run and a fourteenth some minutes later from a wasp that had been trapped in a fold of my clothing. The worst of the stings swelled up to the size of a saucer and the reaction made my joints stiff enough that I had to work my knees in the morning to get them moving again.
Funnily enough, in the next four summers, I don't think I saw fourteen wasps in total but a bug (nisseria bacteria) nearly killed me when I got meningococcal meningitis. I thought I had the flu until I woke up three days later in intensive care.
I don't like the sound of those africanised hybrid bees. I won't be complaining in future if they make me fill in forms before i come back from trips abroad and want to spray my shoes. If those nasties come here, we may have to abandon God's Own Country ('Godzone', they call it here).
Nature is always ready to rumble. I suppose the competition is good for us.

Latest posts

Back