Hurricane Katrina

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree Machine

Tree Machine

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hurricane Katrina tagged southern southern Florida, Friday August 26, moving westward. Today it entered the Gulf of Mexico and this is rather worrisome as the Gulf gets really warm by late August. When it hit land on Friday, it was a category 1. It will strengthen a lot more, without a doubt.

At the moment, Katrina is a dangerous category 3 storm out in the middle of the Gulf. We should keep an eye on her as another landstrike within a few days is inevitable.

I hope Vharrison can offer us some update. He most definitely got slammed as Marathon Key was just to the south of the Eye. Here's a few pics of the storm: (the one you see visible is the last of the 4)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Tree Machine

Tree Machine

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes, it strengthened overnight. It's now at the top of the strength scale, Category 5.

Man, this storm came out of nowhere. Normally they come rambling over from the west coast of Africa. This baby started east and south of Florida, north of Cuba as a tropical depression, turning quickly into a tropical storm. As it grew to a category 1 hurricane it tagged Florida's southern end. This storm formed and revved up sort of 'under the radar'. There was not a lot of warning and boom, a million people are out of electricity--- and that was as category 1.

It's a different animal right now. They're evacuating the city of New Orleans as we speak. When this hits land, it could be just a devastating storm.

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tree Machine said:
Hurricane Katrina tagged southern southern Florida, Friday August 26, moving westward. Today it entered the Gulf of Mexico and this is rather worrisome as the Gulf gets really warm by late August. When it hit land on Friday, it was a category 1. It will strengthen a lot more, without a doubt.

At the moment, Katrina is a dangerous category 3 storm out in the middle of the Gulf. We should keep an eye on her as another landstrike within a few days is inevitable.

I hope Vharrison can offer us some update. He most definitely got slammed as Marathon Key was just to the south of the Eye. Here's a few pics of the storm:
Well sir,V is a she,not a he.She did give some up dates,unfortunately however,not on this site as she is no longer here.As I understand it,Marathon got hammered and as of her last report[this morning] the storm has been upgraded to a cat 5.

Tree Machine

Tree Machine

Addicted to ArboristSite
175 mph (291.6 Km/h) Sustained winds. That is the MINIMUM required horsepower to be called a category 5. Gulf waters get no warmer than in late August. Katrina, as she moves across the ever-warmer Gulf waters is being all she can be. I fear this young, vicious storm, as well-formed as it is, and as full powerful, and this being a hot late August time of the year, I'm afraid this sets the stage for a Perfect Storm.

Katrina and the Waves.

bushman

bushman

ArboristSite Operative
the storm is looking like camille of 69,one of the only cat5 where the storm surge was 22ft mean tide and 200mph wind .hopefully we won't see that but she's mighty close to the same strength.may god be with these people on the gulf coast.

Tree Machine

Tree Machine

Addicted to ArboristSite
The sad thing about New Orleans is that it's a city built below sea level. On average, N'awlins sits about 12 feet (3.66 M) below sea level. A series of retaining walls and levees allow it to be a 'dry' city. Once the storm surge comes ashore under this sort of forceful hurricane, you add the depth below sea level to the height of the storm surge, gives you the depth of water in the old city.

Add to that boats and flotsam and the 150-200 mph winds and you could have buildings tumbling, people getting killed, livestock with nowhere to go, fishing boats, shrimpers and trawlers cast ashore or sunk.

Katrina is a meteorological machine and will do terrible damage. We'll just have to sit for another 24-36 hours.

TreeJunkie

TreeJunkie

ArboristSite Guru
More like a week or two. The mayor of New Orleans was on msnbc this morning and predicted it could be 2-3 weeks before water will be completely clear of the streets there. I'm thinking about going down but not for at least a week. I doubt there would be much point in heading anywhere near where the eye hits people aren't going to give a crap about there trees; they'll be wondering where there house went.......

Bermie

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Climbing mike said:
category 5 that looks like one nasty storm! I wish i was there :p

No you don't!!!
I was in a cat 3/4 two years ago, bloody hell, I'd LEAVE, BIN GONE, if a cat 5 was coming! That place is going to get toasted, roasted, blasted and smashed.
Pray for them, seriously.

Tree Machine

Tree Machine

Addicted to ArboristSite
It is Sunday night. This is what Katrina looks like around Midnight Louisiana time. Tomorrow morning she will be ashore. This is so very bad. Prayers are in order. People can leave, but as for the rest of god's creatures, and the trees, there is nowhere to hide
attachment_26271.php

Tree Machine

Tree Machine

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cat 4, downgrade

Thank goodness. ANY amount of help is help.

Here she is, Monday morning. The eye is right on the shoreline. As I'm having my morning coffee, eastern Louisiana and western Missippii are getting beaten up by a ruthless storm.
attachment.php

Tree Machine

Tree Machine

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, doomsday or not, certain areas are more susceptible to flood damage, meaning low-lying areas. Here is a map of where the eye has come ashore. Not only is the city of New Orleans below sea level, but the entire region is very low-lying. There are lots of people and towns where people live along the ocean, along Lake Pontchartrain and along the mighty Mississippi. EVERYTHING flows into the Mississippi, and since we can expect all drainages to flood, so will the mighty river, over it's banks and flooding everything along those banks.

But wait, there's more. As the Storm moves northward, it will likely follow the northward direction of the river, flooding any river valleys and watersheds, all these catch basins once again, flowing into the Mississippi River. Once the storm has passed over Lousiana/Mississippi, it will still send it's flood waters south back down to New Orleans and bayou / delta country. The amount of pollution that will be carried out into the Gulf of Mexico is in and of itself a tragedy.

For any treeguy going for disaster relief efforts, they need you. It will be a major challenge.
attachment.php

Latest posts