Husky 266XP slug/jug interchangeability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPO-L78

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance please, but I have a solid running 266XP and am wondering if the 50mm piston and cylinder are the largest in this older family of saws or is there a larger bore with the same pin/compression height/stroke length and port location from another model or flavor to be bolted on for a gain in displacement? Also have a near twin in a 70E that's in need of a piston and ring. Intent is to cut firewood with one and learn, experiment, modify the other.

Thanks. Was aware of greater bore diameter, but have not been able to ascertain whether both jugs used same base gasket or both models had same stroke length, rod etc. Actually unsure where to look as various sites have conflicting information...

You need to move over to the chainsaws section to ask this. Anyway, all of the following husky models have the same stroke, and cylinder mount pattern: 61, 66, 266, 268, 272, and I believe 162 as well. You can bolt the 272 top end on your 266 with no mods. The gasket from any of them should work. If you're going to mod it anyway, you may want to remove the gasket entirely as the squish allows. You may have a few issues with carb mounting and such, and the top covers are different on the 268xp/272xp than the others, and the front mounting screw is in a different position, so it is not as simple as swapping covers.
I am hoping on getting a project 266 today. I have a 66 cylinder on my bench ready to go on it, and I pulled the jug off my 272 to compare. Each will bolt on the other crankcase.
The early 61 thru the 266 use a coarse thread crankshaft for the clutch end, and the older style clutch with the spring running all the way around the outer portion. The newer model 61, 268, and 272 use the newer clutch with the "swept" legs on the spider.
Also, the earlier saws use the 2 piece ignition, where the later ones have a single piece unit.

Back