Husky 339xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh35

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Good morning folks. I have what seems to be a husky 339xp coming my way. Sounds like it was ran lean and probably needs a top end. It's coming from a friend of my dad who is a retired business owner. He does not burn wood but his house is on 10 acres of mostly pine trees. He does a fair amount of trimming and helps my dad cut a little too. I can't imagine this saw has many hours on it. The guy takes great care of his stuff in general, doesn't buy "used" anything and I would hard pressed to think it was ran without oil. I think it was ran lean or vacuum leak or something.

Anyway, my question is about performance upgrades on this little saw. I bought a 51 new in 2000. I cut for my outdoor burner and FIL's outdoor burner, and some for dad. I just did the top end on that 51 last winter. I bought a used 2003 model 55 Rancher a few years ago and did the top end on that one. Both are stock configuration with base gaskets and everything else stock, unmodified mufflers too. Those are my only saws and they run well. This is all to say I don't hot rod my stuff in general, but I would take a chance on a small pro saw that is coming to me for no charge.

I don't want to do anything crazy, but maybe a big bore kit, gasket delete if possible, and a muffler mod on the 339. The gasket and muffler I can do, I just don't know about the bigger jug and piston, if one from a bigger saw would fit, or available from a supplier. What have you folks seen / done ?

I will pick this saw up in the next few days .

A little background on me: I'm not a mechanic or a tree guy, but I do most of my own vehicle and farm equipment wrenching. 51 yrs old Mechanical engineer by day-was / am a machinist before that, and I farm dad's place and dad's share of grandpa's place and help FIL with his farm. (mostly corn and soybeans for both of us)

Thank you,
Jeff

Big turn of events haha. I picked the saw up last night. It looks pretty decent and felt like good compression. I took the recoil off and the screw that holds down a wire terminal for the coil had vibrated very loose. Well i tightened the screw and it runs like a champ. I called dad to find out if his buddy would take the saw back. There is nothing wrong with it and I can't really take that saw in that situation. I'll find out soon what happens.

Got one in 2004 or so. Had it until a shop burglary in 2011 or 2012. May be ugly, but it was a great, little, lightweight saw. You may find you're reaching for your other saws far less when that little 339 can handle the chores just as well.

Well my dad's friend said I could keep the little saw if I can use it. I surely can use it. After about 30 minutes the screw backed off again. It is a SHCS . 4mm hex key holding down the red wired ring terminal under the coil. What it looks like to me is that the loosened terminal must be the ground because it wouldn't rev up, but yet the kill switch wouldn't work either.

What I think the main problem is that the screw backed off until it was pressing against the blue wire spade that slips onto the coil and was grounding it out. Once I tightened the screw, it ran well and the kill switch worked again. I gave it a few more beans whilst tightening this time. If that does not work I will use Loctite. About 1.5 hrs on the saw this weekend trimming limbs and brush around a field perimeter. it is light and snappy.

Latest posts

Back