Husky 345e

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pompedo

pompedo

My 22 year old Homelite 150 with a 16 inch bar died and am getting something to replace it. I have my sights on a Husky 345e. I only do light work cutting my own firewood and probably use the saw 15 - 20 hours a year. sense to go with the 18 inch bar or does the 16 inch make sense. Looking for thoughts/advice. Thanks

joecool85

joecool85

Addicted to ArboristSite
345e w/16" bar would fit the bill quite well I would say. Might also want to consider a Stihl MS250 w/16" bar, or Echo CS440 w/16" bar. They are all about the same price range, and all very good saws.

NWnewguy

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
I'm not sure what size wood you are trying to cut, but the 345 is not a very powerful saw. I think for $250 you could probably find a good used saw on craigs list that is a little bigger. I got my MS290 for $250 at a pawn shop and it had not even run through a full tank of gas yet. I know that a lot of people make fun of the 290, but it isn't the best selling chainsaw Stihl makes by accident.

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
firewood guys are less brutal

So posting a thread about what saw to use for FIREWOOD is fine here.
Post the same question over there.... you know the result. :chainsaw:

I had a Jred version, and there are 2 345's around here. They are really not a bad setup at all. Smooth running, and a 16" is fine. The 18" is fine as well.

There are a few oddities with them (any saw really). I would look around, and maybe think about a Echo, or a small Stihl.

-Pat

joecool85

joecool85

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm not sure what size wood you are trying to cut, but the 345 is not a very powerful saw. I think for $250 you could probably find a good used saw on craigs list that is a little bigger. I got my MS290 for $250 at a pawn shop and it had not even run through a full tank of gas yet. I know that a lot of people make fun of the 290, but it isn't the best selling chainsaw Stihl makes by accident.

How much power do you need? I cut a lot of pine and a 45cc saw w/18" bar works for me.

Latest posts