Husky 350 - questions/upgrades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rullywowr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I just scored a nice Husky 350 for a great price - very clean and well maintained. Has the decomp and primer bulb. Plastics are awesome shape like new. Yeah I suck I know. Going to be a backup saw to my 550xp and 372xp as a nice truck saw or the one I loan out to friends.

I ran it briefly and it starts right up but power was a bit low and it was stalling out.

Figured I would take it down and go though it before I did any damage due to too lean conditions. Piston and cylinder are really good - no scoring. Compression is about 90 which is a bit low, but normal around 100-110 as I read for these 350 saws. I pulled the jug and looks nice inside. Has the dished piston.

It has the dreaded black plastic intake boot clamp so that is getting replaced ASAP. Probably do the boot and impulse line too just as cheap insurance. I'll go though the carb of course. Also a MM is obligatory. :)

I also want to remove the decomp valve and replace it with a plug - nobody needs a decomp on a 100 psi saw unless you wear a skirt. Eliminate any possibility of leaks. Where can I get one?

So I am debating between just getting a new base gasket and a new ring or should I get a new piston/big bore kit? Which one? 346 conversion? Id like to ensure the compression is okay and upped from the 90psi it's at and make it a reliable saw. I've rebuilt my 372 from the ground up so I'm comfortable with just about anything. Any advice or parts sources would be a great help! Thanks.

I'm working on some w/ the hyway 45mm P&C kit ...as soon as I get them together I'll let you know. compression of 90 sounds low, I'm surprised it runs. new base gasket, metal intake clamp are a good idea for sure. no idea on the decomp plug.... if you want a new piston best to get the meteor kit I think... $40 bin free ship on ebay last I looked.

You'll like the 45mm Hyway kit. I built one, muffler nodded and ported....ran right a 346!!! I actually preferred the 350 ,because it had more tourqe.

Had an offer I couldn't refuse and sold it and the unimpressive 346. Never really cared for it...but that me.

You will like the kit!!!!

healthy compression on a normal husky chainsaw is supposed to be 115-175psi. so 90lbs is pretty low. a new piston and cylinder is in order and you might want to make sure your seals are good. watsonr should still carry a really nice aftermarket 346xp kit. check him out.

Plug PN 503552201 Just about any place that sells Husqvarna parts.
Stens PN 635-701

And agree 90 psi seem very low. I don't have very many 2Cs that will even start that low.

Meteor flat top, remove transfer covers and open up with an eye to improve flow to the intake side, MM (open under stock deflector as much as possible), delete base gasket, match lower transfers to case, trim carb limiters. I'm breaking in a 550xp right now and wouldn't be a bit surprised if the lightly modded 350 isn't more powerful. Like the previous poster said----TORQUE.

If you don't intend to use your 350 P/C send me a "convo" with a price.

Weedeaterman's closed port 346 P&C kit with the base gasket deleted makes for a sporty 350. Vacuum test, these are notorious for seal failure
Here's one with the 346 kit

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm gonna do it right and do seals plus p&c etc. I know it can't keep up with the 550xp but I'd like her to be a runner.

It's hard to choose which set to get. I'm thinking big bore...

Guessing the saw already has a 45mm piston because of the primer bulb.Least mine is.I added a OEM flat top and cut the jug down to adjust the squish and modded the muffler.Then replaced the boot and added the metal clamp,nice saw.Will be interested to see how you like yours when done.

Put a Meteor 353 piston in it... flat top 45mm. will get you some extra compression. Delete the base gasket, muff mod, clip the limiters and enjoy a great saw for a $60 investment on upgrades! The metal clamp/boot is $8 from the dealer.

I just returned from cutting a couple loads of hardwood with a lightly modded 350 and a new 550xp (3 tanks of mix used). As far as performance goes didn't see a huge difference, seems like maybe you can lean on the 350 a bit more though. The 550xp is showing signs of the hard start and stumble syndrome and yes I do use the primer bulb like the manual says. Beginning to have second thoughts on the 550xp sure hope it straightens up. Do 550's have carb issues like the 562's?

Back